PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right source of power in dash for device

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Default right source of power in dash for device

I am about to install a dvd player in headrest device to my 2006 H3 Hummer and would like to know if using the cigarette lighter outlet as a 12V power source is a good idea. The cigarette lighter power source isn't switched, the the auxgmv3 device would draw power even when the isn't running, correct?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Yep, the DVD would receive constant power. This could drain your battery over time so make sure its not on constantly. Also read your instruction booklet to make sure the DVD player does not draw enough power to blow the fuses for the smokes plug. I think you should be good.

An alternative power choice is the Trailer brake wiring harness under the driver dash on the right hand key side. There is one switched, one ground, on constant, and a break wire in the bundle. most are labeled but use a meter to be sure. This power source has a larger fuse under the hood and is great if you are not planning on hooking up a trailer with a power brake system. Make sure whichever connection you use, you include a specific in line fuse for the DVD. This way you don't end up frying something you don't plan to eat!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Default thanks

the info is usefull. I m not familiar with electric issues so may be it worth to pay to an electrician to do the job. I just thouhgt that I need to splice a wire and that 's it, but seems that I have to be carefull. thanks again.