PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Navigation and Backup Camera

Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Default Navigation and Backup Camera

I have a 2003 Hummer H2. I want to install a navigation screen and a backup camera in the truck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the spare tire mounted on the back and my license plate is mounted to the left of my spare.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:21 PM

Android Auto capable head unit or an Android based head unit. Add a decent wired backup camera mounted near the license plate and you're good to go.

I have the older Pioneer Appradio 3. After switching from mirrorlink to mhl I really like it, but the new Android Auto looks even better.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 AM

Remember that when switching from an OEM radio to an aftermarket one you will to get yourself a decent harness in order to keep the steering wheel controls, OnStar, Bose in working condition. I used the PAC OS2 but there are a lot of different ones out there. You just need to do the research. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Android Auto capable head unit or an Android based head unit. Add a decent wired backup camera mounted near the license plate and you're good to go.

I have the older Pioneer Appradio 3. After switching from mirrorlink to mhl I really like it, but the new Android Auto looks even better.
I wanted an Android 4.4 unit (I looked at Joying) but the manufacturer told me the unit won't work if the H3 has a CAN bus. Does it?

Old 03-11-2016, 08:17 AM
boe

I have a similar Android 4.4 unit in my H3 - it works but is not really easy to install.

First you need an adaptor for the can functions (chimes, switched accessories output, OnStar if present) - I used one from PAC-Audio.

Then you need a matching Double-DIN frame for the H3 (which needs a little Dremel work to fit the stereo in).

If you have a fully active system (8-channel-Monsoon) you will need Ground-Loop-Isolators for front and rear channels and preamps for the line channels. The Monsoon amp needs 4V and the Android device delivers only 2V. I would also recommend an amp for the FM antenna.

When it's all done: Have fun (like me)!

You can use most of the smartphone and configure the stereo completely to your demands. On XDA developers you can find a huge thread on these stereos and customization.

One thing that drove me nearly crazy: I wanted to use Navigon as navigation app and it doesn't work correctly because it needs a built in compass chip - most of the Android car stereos don't have one. With TomTom everything is fine.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 AM
boe

I have a similar Android 4.4 unit in my H3 - it works but is not really easy to install.

First you need an adaptor for the can functions (chimes, switched accessories output, OnStar if present) - I used one from PAC-Audio.

Then you need a matching Double-DIN frame for the H3 (which needs a little Dremel work to fit the stereo in).

If you have a fully active system (8-channel-Monsoon) you will need Ground-Loop-Isolators for front and rear channels and preamps for the line channels. The Monsoon amp needs 4V and the Android device delivers only 2V. I would also recommend an amp for the FM antenna.

When it's all done: Have fun (like me)!

You can use most of the smartphone apps and you can configure the stereo completely to your demands. On XDA developers you can find a huge thread on these stereos and customization.

One thing that drove me nearly crazy: I wanted to use Navigon as navigation app and it doesn't work correctly because it needs a built in compass chip - most of the Android car stereos don't have one. With TomTom everything is fine.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 AM

Bow, the OP was asking about an H2.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:59 AM
boe

I was answering Toreador (directly above my post), who was asking for H3 and an Joying Android device.

But I think H2 will be quite similar if equiped with CAN-Bus. If no CAN is present, it will simplify the installation. Then you just need to look for a matching harness.