Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

H3T rear backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Default H3T rear backup camera

I installed a rear backup camera in our H3T and the wife loves it. The biggest hurdle ($$) was the display. Reviewing choices for mirror mounted (small and expensive), dash top (inexpensive but ugly) or a new head unit (can get very expensive) I decided on a new head unit. Had the most integrated look and added improved bluetooth capabilities. When I researched it there were warnings of nightmare wiring. I purchased a mounting kit and an adapter harness. The only wiring issue was the dimming source from the truck. Not sure what the orange wire from the truck does, but it doesn't dim the radio when I connected it.

Anyway, these components all worked and the installation was straight forward.

Attached Thumbnails H3T rear backup camera-h3t-back-up-stuff.jpg  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Default Camera placement

I centered the camera on the bumper. The view is fine for the wife's use. The only drawback is I can't see the ball on my dropped hitch. You can see the trailer perfectly and it is pretty easy to figure out when to stop anyway. Installation was simple and cable routing was much easier not having to go up into the tailgate. I don't believe the cables were long enough to go up into the gate either.

In the picture, the little protective film is still on the camera.

Attached Thumbnails H3T rear backup camera-h3t-bumper-camera.jpg  
Old 11-11-2017, 02:04 PM

I removed the driver side tail light and spliced into the backup light to power the camera. The cable for the camera included a lead to carry the power signal up to the head unit to trigger the backup display. The cable was run up the driver side, above the fuel tank and into the engine compartment. Since my truck is an automatic, I had a nice flat plate for the clutch master cylinder to drill a hole through and add a grommet for the cable.

The field of view is very good. In the far right corner you can just see a bucket placed at the far corner of the truck even with the bumper.

Attached Thumbnails H3T rear backup camera-h3t-back-up-view.jpg  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM

I have been wanting to do this as I have had 3 neck surgerys and it hard to look before backing up.
Do you have the monsoon system?
Did you buy all the stuff from the same place.
and can you give me the adapter #'s for the parts need to install the same stereo in my h3.
thanks

Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 PM

No, I don't have the Monsoon system. No, I did not buy all the stuff from the same place. Below are the adapters I bought, not necessarily where I got them from though.

Chime adapter. If you are using your Onstar, you will need a different one.
Amazon Amazon

Mounting kit
https://www.ebay.com/i/282179836956?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 PM

Sturdy is not a word I would use to describe the mounting kit. Once it was in and the back of the radio supported, it has been fine and looks good.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Does anyone have a back up camera for an h3t or could tell me what part # the bezel is that go us on the bumper? I replaced my bumper with one that had a camera so now I want to fill the hole in . Stock would look best

Old 08-03-2018, 06:34 AM

I simply spliced into the backup light wire in the tail light to power the camera and the backup signal wire going to the power brake booster controller in the engine bay to provide the backup signal to the monitor to have it switch on. I have my process detailed in my build log

As for using the OEM camera, I'm not confident it's possible to use it, the signal doesn't go straight from the camera to the screen in the mirror, it passes through the "Rearview camera image display module" and then is passed to the display screen in the rear-view mirror that pops out. So the signal might not be an analog signal but could be digital. It is possible however that the OEM camera does output a simple analog video signal that is compatible with aftermarket displays, but I don't know of anyone that has tried it. Usually one just buys and aftermarket rear view camera and display screen and hook them up.