Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

GM nav radio and onstar install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 AM
Default GM nav radio and onstar install questions

Whats up guys . just got my hands on a NAV unit from an 06 H2 . part #s GM 15800001 delphi # 28032960 . this is a TNR or touch screen unit . so today i went ahead and pulled the JVC radio that was on my truck and find out that who ever installed this JVC left the factory plugs so i was able to just plug in the unit and as expected i got the theftlock message so i need to have this thing reprogram ,the same guy who go tthis for me has a tech2 he mention that when ever i wanted he could do the programing for me ... .. I need to find out what the part number is for the antena for the nav and also the part number for the xm module that i need ????????? since the previews owner removed .

look at this pictures , this is what it looked like when i pulled the old radio out ..

i need to find a smaller antena conector they installed a bigger one that wont work on the GM unit

looks like who ever installed my DVD head rest ran this cables upfront in case somelse wanted a DVD headunit ..

Looks like the door speakers were rewire all 4 are aftermarket i also noticed that there are cables runing to where the factory amp is located .
I wonder if after the NAV unit is matched to my truck since it looks like they changed the wiring how would i be able to tell if the unit is working ,i mean how do i know that the factory harness is throwing any sound anywere ????
I any of you is a stereo guy please explain if i should rewire everything to mach the stock install again .....

Last edited by hmer; 09-09-2018 at 01:58 AM. Reason: fix image link
Old 09-15-2018, 01:31 AM

finally got the nav unit unlock . because of what the last person to work on this truck stereo did i have no sound . i need to find the part number for the harness that hooks in to the back of the BOSE amp since there was cables cutoff ... basicaly the last stereo shop to touch this truck wired the aftermarket radio to the factory amp and they simply left lots of cables hanging around . i also need the xm wiring harness and the gps antenna ...

Old 11-26-2018, 11:42 PM

I know the thread is a bit old, but my suspicion is that you do not have sound because you bought a 15800001. This radio requires a digital LUX amplifier to work. Some 03 and 04 H2s came with a LUX amp. 05,06,and 07s did not.
You probably needed to buy a 15800000 which is radio compatible with the premium non LUX amp. That's what happened to me when I bought my radio and had to return it and buy the other model, and it worked then.
The Y91 LUX RPO is not indicative of a LUX amp as most Ebay sellers tend to imply.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by audiowhiz
I know the thread is a bit old, but my suspicion is that you do not have sound because you bought a 15800001. This radio requires a digital LUX amplifier to work. Some 03 and 04 H2s came with a LUX amp. 05,06,and 07s did not.
You probably needed to buy a 15800000 which is radio compatible with the premium non LUX amp. That's what happened to me when I bought my radio and had to return it and buy the other model, and it worked then.
The Y91 LUX RPO is not indicative of a LUX amp as most Ebay sellers tend to imply.
what i ended up doing was buying a lux amp and rewiring the harness for a lux amp . now i just need to get the TECH2 and reprogram the amp for my truck since this one was on an escalade . when you swap amps sometimes you need to tell the amp its on a new vehicle . the way to tell if you need reprograming after the rewiring is done would be to turn on the radio and if you only get sound from the front passenger side door speaker thats the way the trucks tell you you need to program the amp .

Old 02-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track to putting her back right. That is the catch with these newer vehicles with factory amps and all and trying to go aftermarket. There is nothing wrong with adding an aftermarket head unit if you get the right electronics and harness adapter module. When done that way you retain the factory amp, all factor connectors, wiring, etc. Then if you ever want to put a stock head unit back in its just a matter of unplugging things and plugging the new one in. Most places also just use a short antenna adapter cable to adapt the stupid tiny GM antenna connector to the standard larger size one versus cutting the small GM plug off. Personally I think the Bose Lux setup sounds decent enough but I'm not fond of the stock head/nav unit. I used the proper adpaters to retain the stock wiring, connectors, Bose lux amp, etc. I did however delete the useless analog Onstar and repurposed its mic and GPS antenna for my Kenwood head unit though. For that I did cut the Onstar connector off and soldered a 1/8" mic connector to the wires so it would plug into my Kenwood and I bought an adapter to change the Onstar GPS antenna connector to one that plugs into my Kenwood.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 PM

what adapter did you use to convert the on star antenna?

Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 PM

MixMan:

I'm currently trying to splice into the OnStar mic and solder the mic connector for a Kenwood. I cannot, however, find the OnStar mic wires. I pulled the cap off the ceiling and I see wires (purple if I recall correctly), but I cannot find those wires anywhere in the connections to the OnStar unit. Any thoughts? Where were yours and do you recall what color? Thanks.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM

For those of you trying to figure out the mic on a Kenwood unit, you need to update the firmware first before troubleshooting. All my mic issues went away once the firmware was updated. This apparently is a known issue. So much wasted time on this issue. Kenwood DNX575S / 2007 Hummer H2.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Sorry - missed these in here....

@bronxteck I got the actual connector on eBay that a Kenwood uses which is a GT5 connector and crimped it onto the factory GPS antenna coax cable. This does require a special crimper that can properly crimp that type of a tiny connector which I already have. Might be able to solder one though or could always cut and splice both cables together. I know there are also adapter cables available as well but you would need to identify the exact connector on the factory cable end and know for sure what connector the aftermarket GPS needs. I know Kenwoods, at least most all DNXxxxxx units use a GT5 GPS antenna connector but I also know some other brands use a different connector.

@oryginal I forget exactly where I found the mic wires in the dash but I think it was also at the Onstar module where I got the GPS antenna wire but it sounds as though you got it figured out. One other thing I had to do on my Kenwood was in one of the settings screens I turned the mic gain up to max. That has it working great with the factory onstar mic and I use it daily. Mine is a couple of year older model though DNX693S. The 575S is a two year newer model from Kenwood than mine but is about the same either way. Nice head unit! On the even older units, DNXxx2 the GPS used an internal micro-sd card and you could remove that and add additional vehicles, voices, etc. On mine and newer models the GPS memory is a soldered in chip. There is an external micro-sd slot that you can use to put updated maps on. I've tried adding additional vehicles and voices to the correct folders but it does not see them on the external card, just the updated maps. Kind of a bummer as I had a white H2 as the GPS vehicle on the older Kenwood I had.

Another tweak on Kenwood and most other brands is you can customize the start screen. Not sure on the 575S but it is probably the same as on my 693S. Its a bit fiddly to do but is slick. When I start my H2 up this is what shows on my Kenwood...

Attached Thumbnails GM nav radio and onstar install questions-image1.bmp