Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Brake lights won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Default Brake lights won't work!

I have a 2006 H2, 70k+ miles. Right and left don't work, center does. For the record, hazards do. All bulbs and fuses are fine, bought a new brake light switch, no change. I live on a fixed income so a trip to the shop is an absolute last resort. What can I do from here?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 AM

Hard telling. There are a couple of schematics related. There is a rear junction block where maybe something is coming loose. This junction block for the rear lighting is undernatch on the body near the middle by the rear bumper. Three functions - turn/hazard, park lights (dimmer), stop (bright). If you have more than one not working you might be able to narrow things down more to a bad ground or something.

Will probably take getting in there with a multimeter and checking for grounds and voltage. Still could be a bad fuse (I've seen fuses that look perfectly fine but still no connection in them) and you have two fuses for brake lights, plus separate ones for left and right park lights, and separate ones for flashers.

For stop it looks like a 25A fuse in the underhood fuse block. That goes to the brake switch you replaced. That then looks to go to the I/P fuse block (under the left end dash cover) which has a 15A fuse. That then goes to a split which connects to the EBCM, TAC, and runs to the rear junction block.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
schematic1.pdf (1.70 MB, 221 views)
Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 AM

Thank you for the quick response! As our H2 is our only vehicle running right now, my wife, who actually drives it more than I do, couldn't wait and took it to a Chevy dealership nearby. Turns out, although the brake lights were out, I was focusing on the wrong bulb. The brake light works with the running lights and I always thought it was the center bulb, which is hazards and turn signal. The mechanic who worked on it said the socket was corroded and the contacts were folded over when the bulbs were installed, which I find questionable, but I wasn't there. Anyway, everything is working now and my wife is happy, sort of.