PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

A couple H3 stereo installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Well, I still have visible stuff there, plus the mic is farther away. I've given up on using the OnStar mic, but still plan to try to use the OnStar mic location. Not looking forward to pulling the headliner but it will be the cleanest install.

As for amps on the back of the rear seats...I don't like that mainly because the seats fold down, and then I have an amp that could get bumped around or whatever by my cargo, and of course there could be issues with the wiring when you're moving the seat, etc.

The PDX-5 is actually a pretty compact, cool-running amp, and all the wires come into one side, so I will have that side towards the driver. No possibility of rear seat passengers kicking anything that way. It stays up under the seat pretty well, even with the seat mostly forward. Still not ideal, but livable, I think.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 PM

As long as you dont mind taking down the headliner then using the OnStar mic location is fine, just thought I'd suggest an alternative. You probably know this but you probably wont need to drop the entire liner just the front and remove the B-pillar on the driver side and it will probably flex enough for you to get to it to do your work.
I agree about not putting them on the back of the rear seats. I don't often lay them flat for cargo because the stupid seats dont really lay "flat" to begin with but if you can safely fit it under your driver's seat that would make your cable runs a lot shorter/ easier too.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info...I was hoping that would be the case (headliner). I will probably do that when I put in my front speakers (just ordered them).

I realized after I ran my amp power wire through the firewall and into the cabin that while it easily reaches to the under-seat location, it will NOT reach the rear storage compartment, which was my other preferred option. I think I've made a decision :-)

Originally Posted by Hummphrey
As long as you dont mind taking down the headliner then using the OnStar mic location is fine, just thought I'd suggest an alternative. You probably know this but you probably wont need to drop the entire liner just the front and remove the B-pillar on the driver side and it will probably flex enough for you to get to it to do your work.
I agree about not putting them on the back of the rear seats. I don't often lay them flat for cargo because the stupid seats dont really lay "flat" to begin with but if you can safely fit it under your driver's seat that would make your cable runs a lot shorter/ easier too.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 AM

bureau13 - Where about's in the fire wall did you run the power cables through? I am also looking to install some amps in my H3 - but want to find a good place to run the cables.. I was hoping to use a opening that is already there instead of drilling more holes......

Mike