Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

amplifier questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Default amplifier questions

Hey all. I am looking to setup my stereo. I am trying to do something decent but on a budget. right now I am looking to setup the door speakers. I am replacing all 4 door speakers with the same speaker, so I am curious about a few things

1) since they are all the same speaker, producing the same sound, can I just run a single channel amp split 4 ways?
2) since they are all the same sound, can I run a 2 channel amp, split 2 ways?
3) since it is the same sound, should it be run with a 4 channel amp and if so why is it better?
4) is there a formula in which the mids and highs should get so much power and the lows should get some power based off that? (ie. like is there a formula that says if the mids and highs get 400watts of power, the subwoofer should get say 800watts? of course this is just an example)

thanks

Old 02-26-2021, 02:41 PM

You want a 4 channel amp. The amp will have terminals for front and rear speakers.

I'm not sure I understand question #4. Are you asking if your speakers are getting a certain number of watts that you should be matching your subwoofers with a certain amount of watts? For example, if your speakers are 40 watts then you should be running 80 watts to the subwoofers? (Those are just made up numbers)If that's the question, no, you can put any amount of subwoofer watts with any amount of speaker watts, just depends on what you're trying to achieve. Some people want sound quality, some people want to set off car alarms with their bass, and some people want a mix of good sounding speakers and earth-shattering bass.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AitchThree
You want a 4 channel amp. The amp will have terminals for front and rear speakers.

I'm not sure I understand question #4. Are you asking if your speakers are getting a certain number of watts that you should be matching your subwoofers with a certain amount of watts? For example, if your speakers are 40 watts then you should be running 80 watts to the subwoofers? (Those are just made up numbers)If that's the question, no, you can put any amount of subwoofer watts with any amount of speaker watts, just depends on what you're trying to achieve. Some people want sound quality, some people want to set off car alarms with their bass, and some people want a mix of good sounding speakers and earth-shattering bass.
Some people want forum members to STOP digging up OLD as DIRT Threads.