PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Backup Camera System to the Monsoon System w/Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Default Adding a Backup Camera System to the Monsoon System w/Navigation

I've been searching and only found one old thread, and as to not anger the "old post gods" I did not post on that particular thread but was wondering what solutions any have come up with for this, I went to Best Buy today to purchase a wireless system that was a license plate bracket camera and a 2.5" lcd screen but that screen is too small and I really don't wanna mount anything on my window or dash, so I came across this Nav TV Video Input turn OEM GPS Navigation Monitor/Display/Screen into MultiMedia System. Add Reverse BackUp Camera, Ipod, Iphone, DVD, TV-Tuner, Car PC, Mobile PC, XBOX, Sony Playstation PS2, Nintendo Game Cube, Satellite TV, TV for Nav, AV Electron and was wondering if anybody had any input they would like to share about it or anything else that will utilize the factory screen for a back up camera system, thanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM

I just don't understand why everyone is so set on keeping the factory head units. They're garbage and the nav is pathetic. You can get something a hundred times better for $200 and a $50 wiring harness, then you wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff when you want to do a backup camera.

I mean, it's literally as easy as pull the old radio out, plug in wiring harness, slide new radio in. Done. And now you have a bluetooth control, better nav, backup camera functionality etc.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 PM

+1 on the factory head unit being garbage.

Just because it works doesnt mean its not broke

Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gleamor
+1 on the factory head unit being garbage.

Just because it works doesnt mean its not broke
Seriously. I bought a $1k head unit, dash kit, and wiring harness. Then I sold the factory Nav system on ebay for $650 to the first idiot that would pay that much.

Well worth the $350 investment if you ask me. Nothing like streaming from my phone, Garmin nav in the dash, live traffic, 12 band EQ, etc.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM

It's been awhile since I messed with a stereo system, as my last two vehicles had Fosgate systems that were more than adequate for my needs, are the unit's out there plug and play? as I am assuming the Monsoon system has a factory amp and the last factory system I had that had an amp wouldnt work after I took out the factory headunit and I ended up buying an Alpine head unit, Fosgate amp,speakers, wires and everything else needed to hook it up and I really don't feel like getting into that because to tell you the truth I think the Monsoon system sounds pretty damn good, and all I really want to do is add a back up camera, (although a usb or even 3.5mm input would be nice for an mp3 player) which I can do with what I have and the avelectronic unit and a camera for $450.00, so would a new h/u sound the same without buying an amp and going through all that crap?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM

All you need is a Metra harness. This harness is about $50 from crutchfield, and less if you look around Google shopping. It is literally as simple as installing the dash kit ($10), plugging up the harness, and screwing in the new head unit.

The dash is the easiest dash ever remove. Place your vehicle into neutral and turn it off (it wont let you remove the key unless its in park). Open and close the door to cut the accessory power. Stick your fingers in the cig lighter holes and pull out and slightly up. The bottom of the dash will pop out, work your way around the edges its all clips, no screws or bolts.

The head unit is held in with I think four 10mm bolts. Remove those and it slides right out. Your door chimes, OnStar, factory amp, etc will all be retained through the use of the wiring harness. If you were in Ohio I would hook it for you in about twenty minutes for a six pack of beer.

The only reason I had to do anything extra is because I have a highly custom sound system, but if all you're changing is the head unit it is totally plug and play.

Good luck, I say go for it, you'll be much happier. When me and the other members say the factory nav is garbage we mean it. I literally have not used a worse unit. As much time as I spend in my vehicle, on and off road having a good sound system makes me enjoy my on road drives, and puts a huge smile on my face off road.

Nothing like bombing down a trail blasting Du Hast.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

If your not convinced go to GM Nav Disc Center - Program Overview and check out the cost for a map update. That 200 dollar per DVD update figure is pretty harsh to.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM

So with this Metra wiring harness I can put an aftermarket unit in and still use the built in microphone and GPS antenna that are already in the truck?

I have looked at different units that are available for quite a while now. I believe the old adage of getting what you pay for is going to kick in if you buy a $200 unit that is supposed to have all the goodies, including GPS. I think I would rather save up for something a little better. If someone has some decent history with something that can prove me wrong, I am more than open to hearing about it.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
So with this Metra wiring harness I can put an aftermarket unit in and still use the built in microphone and GPS antenna that are already in the truck?

I have looked at different units that are available for quite a while now. I believe the old adage of getting what you pay for is going to kick in if you buy a $200 unit that is supposed to have all the goodies, including GPS. I think I would rather save up for something a little better. If someone has some decent history with something that can prove me wrong, I am more than open to hearing about it.
The microphone is OnStar only. If applicable to head unit will come with it's own GPS antenna and microphone. Mine came with both. The microphone is up in the top left completely out of the way, and the tiny square antenna sits on the dash and is completely unobtrusive.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Has anyone seen discussions on the microphone to see why it's "onstar only". I've seen this come up before but never any details as to why. Kind of like someone telling you a cup is "water only" I'm still wondering why I can't put a beer in it. i can understnad the potential impeadence matching of the gps antenna and also understand the want to keep it as close to factory as possible.

Quick Reply: Adding a Backup Camera System to the Monsoon System w/Navigation