Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2008 H3 Speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Default 2008 H3 Speakers not working

Hello,

After some heavy rains, I found a ton of water sloshing around in my front passenger door, and now only one speaker works, specifically the front driver tweeter. Is there an amplifier in the door that might have shorted out, or this just coincidental?

I found a few threads that talk about this being a common problem in the H3s in which speakers tend to go out one at a time until they all stop working.

Thank you - Samer

Old 03-28-2019, 04:50 PM

If you have the upgraded radio all of your speakers are driven off of an amplifier mounted in the rear cargo area next to the subwoofer on the drivers side. If you have the standard radio the speakers are driven by the radio itself. So it sounds like either the amp or the radio didn't like the water in the speaker and shorted out.

The upgraded radio has a speaker grill for the subwoofer in the rear cargo area on the back drivers side. The standard radio had a storage compartment in the same space. If you look on eBay for "H3 Factory Subwoofer" you will be able to see the component and how it is wired. The amp is installed just forward of the speaker itself.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Your speakers are dead, happened to a bunch of us because these trucks are old, GM used chitty speakers, and provided no moisture protection for the speakers in the doors.

Time for an upgrade.

I pulled the crappy OEM speakers, installed some dynamat on the outer door skin, used XTC foam speaker baffles (for water protection) poking the speaker wire in from the bottom of the baffles, and installed 6.5" Pioneer 3 ways.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:58 PM

Water in the door is from clogged drain holes in the bottom of the doors, use a pipe cleaner or what ever you want to fish the holes clean.
Hummer H3/H3T speakers are paper cones and have really dismal voice coils.
You say you can hear the driver side tweet. If you have any sound coming from any speaker your "amp" regardless of it's location is not hurt/dead/blown/etc.
As Doc stated your speakers are probably all hurt/dead/blown/etc if you can only hear the tweeter. Replace them and enjoy your tunes.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Thank you both for the valuable information and replies.

As the saying goes, "A strange thing happened on the way to the market!" , and as I soon as I removed the front driver side speaker to test, the system started working again! I'm now getting audio from the rear speakers and the tweeters in the "A" pillars. What gives?

I've confirmed that both front door speakers are dead, so I've ordered two sets of Focal coaxials to replace ALL of the speakers. I'm thinking of disconnecting the "A" pillar tweeters in the front as they sound awful, so my question is: since I'm not replacing the fronts with a 2-way system, will I still get the full range of frequencies through the co-axials, or is there a capacitor somewhere that separates the woofer from the tweeter?

Thank you - Samer

Old 12-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by samer0214
Thank you both for the valuable information and replies.

As the saying goes, "A strange thing happened on the way to the market!" , and as I soon as I removed the front driver side speaker to test, the system started working again! I'm now getting audio from the rear speakers and the tweeters in the "A" pillars. What gives?

I've confirmed that both front door speakers are dead, so I've ordered two sets of Focal coaxials to replace ALL of the speakers. I'm thinking of disconnecting the "A" pillar tweeters in the front as they sound awful, so my question is: since I'm not replacing the fronts with a 2-way system, will I still get the full range of frequencies through the co-axials, or is there a capacitor somewhere that separates the woofer from the tweeter?

Thank you - Samer
My H3 is doing the same thing. How did you fix it?

Old 12-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bricks
As I said in my last post, I replaced the speakers. That's all I had to do. It turns out they were bad.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:07 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bricks
WOW, I wonder how this incredible situation of fate, timing and instance was fixed too...
samer0214 clearly wrote "so I've ordered two sets of Focal coaxials to replace ALL of the speakers".