PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

K&N or OEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Default K&N or OEM

Does anyone out there have the K&N air filter on their H2? If you do did it help the mileage or would you just replace the OEM filter?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 PM

tryed em both, keep OEM...K&N is a joke....if u dont believe me, spend money and find out yourself....just my experience wit em....

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Just an air filter change will not produce much (if any). I'm 45 years old, back in the day you put free flow air filters on your car after you put ported heads on, an exhaust, maybe a bigger carb. You guys won't see any increase in HP with just an air filter change unless other modifications are done. Keep your money and keep the OEM air box. Here in California, you can't do **** to your cars, so kids put these type of free flow air cleaners on for the sound they make. I will never understand why you want a car to sound bad that can't beat itself out a wet paper bag. If you want your car to be fast then trade your Hummer in and buy a Ferrari.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM

You will get increased airflow with a K&N FIPK. I doubt you will get an increase in MPG but if you add a cat back, headers and a chip of somekind all of them should add up to more power and MAYBE mileage.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 PM

k&n allows warm air into filter compartment, and is not seeled off correctly, wile losin major performance....keep oem and youll be pleased!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by kchummer
k&n allows warm air into filter compartment, and is not seeled off correctly, wile losin major performance....keep oem and youll be pleased!
Agreed. You need more than an air filter to get any difference in mileage or power. The OEM intake is not so restrictive that when you bolt on a K&N air filter there's going to be an increase. Thats just fact

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM

Volant or OEM....K&N bites

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

K&N doesn't even make an OEM replacement filter for the H2?

The stock air filter will hold a ton of dirt and dust, but it flows poorly. Changing to a OEM type replacement performance filter will remove the intake's weakest link and get you 3-6HP/TQ.

I would recommend AirAid #720-182 or the new dry AFE 11-10088.

There are some pics of the AFE filter in comparison to the stock Donaldson type.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=Airdoc

Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kchummer
There are two types of performance intakes. "open" like the K&N filter on the end of a tube; and "Closed" where the filter is inside a box and the intake air come from outside the underhood heated environment. The stock system is closed, but its resonator baffles, intake shape, and filter rob power and can easily be improved upon.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 AM

I looked at your Air induction, how loud will a hummer be with the baffles gone? Will a possible second or even the main driver (typically my wife) have a problem with noise now? Will our family vacation be riddled with unwanted noise? Lastly is this CARB legal, or does it need to be? I would be interested in buying one if it meets my criteria

Quick Reply: K&N or OEM