PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drawbacks of 35 inch tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Default Drawbacks of 35 inch tires?

So I am getting ready to get new shoes. I currently have stock 265/75R16's. I was thinking I want to go to 285/75R/16 but I have considered 315/75R16's.
My question is this. If I go up to the 315's what are the short term and long term side effects of this? I know MPG's will suffer(how much though). I have also heard that it puts a measurable amount of force on your transmission because of the weight and torque that is required to turn them big boys. What other front end components wear quicker with the 315's?
I have read a lot of threads here and I am aware that there will be rub at full lock, etc. I am looking more for technical will this hurt my rig in the long run or cost me more money in the long run if I jump up to the 315's.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

It won't hurt your rig.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
It won't hurt your rig.
No tress on the drive then? Okay.... What about the gas MPG's how much roughly can I expect to lose going from 265's to 315's?

Old 09-04-2014, 01:16 AM

It depends on why you want the taller wider tires, what model year, performance mods, additional accessories added (weight & drag), etc.

If you are not going to wheel it, or only occasionally wheel I would suggest 305/70R16s over the 315/75R16.
Almost as wide without the height (most are right at 33" tall).

I ask about other added accessories because most that go with 315s also add other items which will add more weight and/or drag. Examples: winch, UCP, lights, roof rack, rock rails/sliders, recovery gear, tools, etc. Those will kill your MPG and performance on an 06 and and certainly not help on any I5 equipped rig. It is slightly better in a V8 but you still feel it.

Nothing I have seen in years of ownership of 315s being mechanically effected by the upsizing. Improper alignment, Offset Rims and lack of maintenance are the killers of front end parts like bearings and stuff.

Overall, I love the look of 315s and larger on our rigs, but we wheel them and didn't buy them for fuel mileage.

My cousin asked me what tires he should put on his daily driven H3 that never goes OffRoad and I recommend the 305s in an aggressive A/T pattern. He wanted the OffRoad look but didn't need the height. He loves his new Duratracs (I definitely didn't suggest those).

So, "cost me more money in the long run if I jump up to the 315's". Heck Yeah it will cost you more than the 285s. Fuel, price of the larger tires, alignment (you will want one since your are going to spend $1000+ on 5 new tires). If you want your speedo to read accurate MPH you will need a "tuner" shop to adjust that, more $. Shocks will wear a little faster also due to controling a higher unsprung mass.

Is it worth the $ for just the OffRoad "look". That's up to you. Most who do it do not regret it because they walk out to their rigs every morning, see their rig and smile. Those who wheel and have 35s will tell you, YEP it's worth it.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
It depends on why you want the taller wider tires, what model year, performance mods, additional accessories added (weight & drag), etc.

If you are not going to wheel it, or only occasionally wheel I would suggest 305/70R16s over the 315/75R16.
Almost as wide without the height (most are right at 33" tall).

I ask about other added accessories because most that go with 315s also add other items which will add more weight and/or drag. Examples: winch, UCP, lights, roof rack, rock rails/sliders, recovery gear, tools, etc. Those will kill your MPG and performance on an 06 and and certainly not help on any I5 equipped rig. It is slightly better in a V8 but you still feel it.

Nothing I have seen in years of ownership of 315s being mechanically effected by the upsizing. Improper alignment, Offset Rims and lack of maintenance are the killers of front end parts like bearings and stuff.

Overall, I love the look of 315s and larger on our rigs, but we wheel them and didn't buy them for fuel mileage.

My cousin asked me what tires he should put on his daily driven H3 that never goes OffRoad and I recommend the 305s in an aggressive A/T pattern. He wanted the OffRoad look but didn't need the height. He loves his new Duratracs (I definitely didn't suggest those).

So, "cost me more money in the long run if I jump up to the 315's". Heck Yeah it will cost you more than the 285s. Fuel, price of the larger tires, alignment (you will want one since your are going to spend $1000+ on 5 new tires). If you want your speedo to read accurate MPH you will need a "tuner" shop to adjust that, more $. Shocks will wear a little faster also due to controling a higher unsprung mass.

Is it worth the $ for just the OffRoad "look". That's up to you. Most who do it do not regret it because they walk out to their rigs every morning, see their rig and smile. Those who wheel and have 35s will tell you, YEP it's worth it.
Wow, Tainter thanks for the great info. I'm running a 2009 H3 base with the I5 with predator HD brush guard and Yakima roof rack. I don't really do any hard core wheeling but I do like to get out and crawl around when I can. This will be my daily driver so I'm thinking maybe the 285's or the 305's would be a better choice but I do like the aggressive look of the 35's. Again thanks for all your information. By the way, what do you have against DuraTracs? lol I hear nothing but good things about them.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a pic..... gotta be worth like 100 words or so.

Tainter w/315s on the left, Doc with 305s on the right, both are Mickey Thompson MTZs.
Name:  CBphoto_20110403_272.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  160.9 KB

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Here's a pic..... gotta be worth like 100 words or so.

Tainter w/315s on the left, Doc with 305s on the right, both are Mickey Thompson MTZs.
Don't make me pull out that other picture Doc

Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I went with 305s because my 07 with the I5 and mods can still get up and GO!
Personally, just MHO, while I agree with everything Taint said, I would only do 35s with an Alpha. Most 35s are really 34.5" or so, with the MTZs 35s are 34.4" and the 305s are 33".

34.4"
1.4" divided by 2 = 0.7" of additional ground clearance.

So you gotta ask yourself, does that extra 0.7" of ground clearance justify dragging those 35s around everywhere you go? For me, nope it just ain't that important.