PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

radiator Problem

Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 AM
Default radiator Problem

Just wondering if anyone has had radiator problem as I did and had to put a new one in ....went for the aftermarket one as it cost $350 and GM cost $1100.....three days later noticed leak from inlet for the engine oil cooler , took back to the shop...they had it for 5 days said they fixed it ....week later i noticed a leak again....so now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the GM radiator ....and wondering if I'm going to continue having seal leaks or what.....the service manager said theres no difference just paying for the GM name....so now I'm unsure
gangstagirl

Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Default RE: radiator Problem

is your oil cooler connected to the radiator? i thought it was simply a separate radiator mounted to the front of the main radiator? guess i'll have to break out the manual to see, but i don't think your oil goes through the radiator like the tranny fluid does. but, i'm no expert, so it's quite possible i'm wrong. if the aftermarket is built by pinheads it may be that the fittings are crap, which would cause the leak no matter what you do. i'll dig through the manual, but if someone else knows whether the oil routes through the main radiator, feel free to pipe up.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 PM

shortbus ...sorry that is what is leaking the tranny fluid ....I had huge problem where the tranny fluid was going into my cooliant so they had to put new radiator and do all the flushing of all fluids ,second time I have noticed it is leaking since they did all this work to it ....when doing repairs to the hummer does most people stick to GM parts or do they use aftermarket as they seem to be alot cheaper...I'm hoping this will be just as good
gangstagirl

Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM

ah, that's a bit different, but still needing some clarification. is the tranny fluid leaking where it goes into the radiator, or at the separate cooler in front of the radiator? if the aftermarket radiator is cheaply made and has crap connectors, that could be a problem, but otherwise i don't think there should be much difference. did they replace the tranny cooler as well, or just flush it? a tranny/water mix shouldn't have hurt it, unless it got too hot and melted. if they didn't replace it, and that's where you're leaking (snicker), that's workmanship, not hardware. if it's leaking at the bottom, passenger side of the radiator, that could be a bum fitting or workmanship. can you take a pic of where it's leaking? not really sure that will help too much, you'll want to get it fixed no matter what. if you had it done at your dealership, make sure you go back quickly, since they may not have more than a few week's warranty on an aftermarket radiator. they should warrant their workmanship though, no matter what they've done.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM

SORRY .....shortbus,......GGRRR...I'm wrong it was the oil leaking, not tranny...theres two fittings going into the driver side of the radiator for the engine oil cooler and its leaking from the lower one from what I see....hope that helpsyou...and me
gangstagirl

Old 05-02-2007, 10:58 PM

ok, i learned something new today, those are your engine oil lines. they use a quick connect fitting, with a small "C" shaped retaining clip. the shop manual tells you not to reuse the clips, although i can't see why if they're in good shape. it's possible the fitting on the radiator isn't quite right and the connector on the oil line isn't seating properly, or they used a crappy clip to put it back. either way, it shouldn't be leaking, and they need to make it right for you. it's a pain in the *** taking it back all the time, but i know what you're going through. while looking at mine i noticed my front diff leaking, again, so i'll be taking it back for the 4th time for the same problem.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Thanks shortbus......don't get me wrong I love my hummer sut but this is the third time back into the shop and it is there for 5 days ....so lucky they gave me a loaner for no cost as it wasnt leaking from here before they changed the radiator ....I find myself always checking the temp controls as I'm driving , this isnt good , I dont want to be worrying about my vehicle , want to feel its reliable and not scared to drive out of town , and I'm sure when the dealership sees me comingback again , there going to run the other way,LOL...but i need it fixed as i do not want to blow my engine

Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM

i would keep going back though, they need to make it right. the aftermarket radiator may not be made of plastic like the stock one, so you shouldn't have an issue like you did before, but they need to fix that leak.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:06 AM

dropping it off tomorrow , let u know what they find....thanks shortbus
gangstagirl

Old 05-04-2007, 06:51 AM

WOW....shorty's AWESOME!!!

Good Luck gangsta......Let Us Know!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: radiator Problem