PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My newly lifted H3

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Default RE: My newly lifted H3

ORIGINAL: KeyzH3

Inked, does Rancho have a suggested size and backset for their lift?
Yes but it's wrong - Rancho recommends 4.5" BS on 16", 17", and 18" wheels. 5" BS on 20" & larger wheels. I have 17 and the 4.5 BS came too close this is why I had to add the spacers.

I think for 18 - 20 4.5 BS should be fine, but 16 and 17 will come so damn close you wouldn't even be able to put your pinky finger between the control arm and your tire.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Because of the tierod breaking and because FUC#ING GM is backed ordered until May on all their tie rods I decided to make this ride a "street" queen (for now). ...Oh yeah forgot to mention I broke my tierod on the trails a few weeks ago, here's some pics:

Me stuck on the mountain for a few hours..

I had one of my buddies run down the mountain and took it to another buddy who welded the tierod...after a few hours they came back and we slapped it back in and went back down the hill in reverse!! The trail is not a cruuiser either, we didn't name it "The Initiator" for nothing

Once my tie rod comes in, we will fab out a more heavy duty rod by cutting the ends and welding it onto a thicker rod - not sure if this would really help being that the rod snapped on the thread going into the outer tie rod - we may also weld a pipe over both the outer and inner tierod.

I am driving it though, since my right is welded I aligned my left to the right to spare the life of my tires, my steering wheel is off but at least my tires are straight.

Also, because of the soft springs that comes with the RANCHO lift the rear began to sag, it got about an 1 1/2 lower than the front and looked ridiculous. We replaced the stock shacle with a YJ shackle and brought the back up about 1 3/4 higher.

Here's some pics of the shackles:

Here's a pic from the rear, you can see how the rear is now even with the front:

Since this is just a street ride now I went bigger on my tires adding Super Swampers IROK's 36 x 13.50's for a more aggressive look!

I wouldn't recommend having this setup on extreme trails though, this is all for "looks"! I am in the market for a 'beater' that I can take on the trails but I still love my H3 - it's funny when I pull up next to an H2 and the driver actually has to look uprather than looking down at me, this ride definitely turns heads on the streets.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:52 AM

How much of your carnage would you say is from the lift/ bigger tires, and how much is from off road usage? I only have my torsion bars turned 2.5 turns compared to your lift, and I have stock sized tires on the stock rims, but a more aggrssive tread. I'm pretty sure my busted half shaft was from off road usage, but then it was the one that had a torn boot earlier, and it was that joint that failed. I foresaw the halfshafts as being a weak link when I bought it, the Hummvees have the same problem, and judging by the diameter of the tierod, that looks like a weak link as well. I bought my H3 with the intent to wheel it, so the breakage is expected, but it would be nice to know what the limitations are before I am broken somewhere without the tools or parts to fix it. Since you have broken both of these now, I am curious how your modifications have influanced these failures.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:05 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: HummBob

WOW...Looks SWEET!!! I think you Scared my Princess!!!
LOL.....you make me laugh HummBob

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 AM

I do like those tires ....nice job!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

How much of your carnage would you say is from the lift/ bigger tires, and how much is from off road usage? I only have my torsion bars turned 2.5 turns compared to your lift, and I have stock sized tires on the stock rims, but a more aggrssive tread. I'm pretty sure my busted half shaft was from off road usage, but then it was the one that had a torn boot earlier, and it was that joint that failed. I foresaw the halfshafts as being a weak link when I bought it, the Hummvees have the same problem, and judging by the diameter of the tierod, that looks like a weak link as well. I bought my H3 with the intent to wheel it, so the breakage is expected, but it would be nice to know what the limitations are before I am broken somewhere without the tools or parts to fix it. Since you have broken both of these now, I am curious how your modifications have influanced these failures.
The broken alternator andbattery was due to mud damage, and the broken shock bushings was due to some rough riding - this was all stock.

The CV Shaft broke after I got the lift but heard of stories where H3's busted their shaft just turning on ice with no lift, or tbars cranked. Same goes with the tierod, heard of stories on other Hummer sites where the tierod snapped on both stock H3's and H2's.

So technically I can't blame the lift, although by just looking at it the large tiresdoes max out the CV Shaft, and the tie rods do suck.[:@]

So who's to blame? I would say GM, should've built the suspension with the idea that there are some of us who bought it to wheel it HARD, brakage is a part of wheeling but those thin-*** tierods is nothing but bad engineering.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Where did you get your roof lights?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brookskidd23
Where did you get your roof lights?
Sorry, but inked has not been on this forum since: Last Activity: 03-26-2008 06:12 PM

Please post up a new thread asking about the lights. By the way they use to be a dealer installed option.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Sorry, but inked has not been on this forum since: Last Activity: 03-26-2008 06:12 PM

Please post up a new thread asking about the lights. By the way they use to be a dealer installed option.
Tainter, is there any way you could contact him and ask? I'd really like to know

Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 AM

Nice rig, I hope that I come across inked on or off road here in Hawaii.