PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The quest for the perfect headunit

Old 01-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Question The quest for the perfect headunit

Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help me, I want to upgrade my h2's AV system.
I have an '09 with the factory non-nav headunit, running Bose lux package (Y91 code) with a drop down roof mounted oem screen in the back. I also run an ISM interface (details in my sig) for bluetooth/iphone playback.

I have the following requirements:
1) want to play kodi on the headunit and the drop down screen, either directly, via an app (android player?) or indirectly via a raspberry pi and hdmi.

2) want to keep the center speaker operational for 5.1 during films (for normal audio i assume it switches to 4.1)

3) want to use a proper subwoofer full time (see point 2).

4) navigation would be a plus, but i could live without it if i had the above, as the iphone has a variety of nav apps i can use now, and as long as I can integrate that (or potential android phone) i am probably still covered.

5) I would like to be able to add 2 camera inputs (one rear / possible second one from up high or front facing).

I know I am going to need a power amp for any potential subwoofer, but not sure if i will need a separate amp for a center channel. Anyone know anything suitable ?

thx in advance,
'fox

Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Did anyone on XDA state that all android units have some, but not all of those features?
I haven't continued researching head units (too busy right now). I think some of the higher end pioneer head units will do what you want (I'd have to double check that), but the price is $900+.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM

@Synthetickiller - XDA confirmed on the Carpads that they don't accept video in at all via HDMI, and none of them feature video out at all.
One version does 5.1 via rca, but i'd still need to get an amp that can do 6 channels to make use of it all.

@atari800 - hadn't seen them before.. initial observation, no hdmi in or out, no 5.1, android 2.3 (thats a good few years old, i believe people are on 6 now or at least 5.1. Not overly bad... it's 600 USD though. So you're already knocking on the doors of some of the majors out there... i mean comparable android headunits are 250-350usd sort of cost. For 600ish i'd be more inclined to pay more and go Pioneer or Alpine etc, or something leaning towards them.

In fact if I could find the perfect headunit, i'd pay a lot more for it...

Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 PM

I am unsure if it does all of it or not but the Android unit I just put in has video in and out and audio as well. And back up camera. USB and I phone cords, bluetooth and nav as well as WiFi and 3g capability. No HDMI though just rca I think. All the hookups are there for another amp and speakers as well.
But I don't know what is interface or kodi are?
I just did a post in the h3 forum with a link to the deck and there are many others like it.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:52 PM

@Baldfox
Did you get your unit setup yet?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 PM

I'd look into the new pioneer NEX line. They can mirror/integrate with either android/apple, have front and rear camera inputs, and allow for an additional input to run either a RPi or WDTV etc... They can also do DUAL zones...so it someone is watching a video in the back with headphones, you can still use the navigation/radio/whatever up front.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 AM

Hey guys. To be honest, i've given up on the android route. I was being seduced by the lure of apps working direct on the device, like KODI, Waze, music etc etc... but losing out on all the connections and the perceived lack of support, kind of turned me off it. Am also looking at Pioneer... the ones with the HDMI input. I was also hoping to keep my 5.1 set up but given the grief of finding a processor capable of doing it, coupled with the actual time spent watching a film v's listening to music, i've abandoned that wish. I did find the PAC GMRVD that can help retain my overhead monitor, so that also cleared the way for most aftermarket units. Not sure if anyone has any experience with such a harness.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 AM

I've gone in the same direction. I can't see an open source / semi-open source android head unit coming to market for a while. Maybe 5 years down the road, but not now.

Which Pioneer Model were you looking at?

Old 06-06-2016, 04:13 PM

So I've gone for a Pioneer AVH-x8800BT. This, a couple of Hertz amps, some door speakers and a decent sub. I'm pairing it with an idatalink maestro rr, with harness for GM and the rear seat entertainment. The pioneer has HDMI in, and so should be able to hopefully play a raspberry pi3 (running kodi and a large hard disk) as a source, and am hoping that it will also play on the rear screen also. If not, the pi has composite out also. I am also going to be adding additional cameras (front and rear (switchable on the pioneer) to the headunit, as well as leaving the existing hitch camera in the rear mirror. That's the plan anyway. Hoping to get all of that installed, but am sure there will some hiccups. I'll add some pics once it's done (next 7 days or so if all goes to plan).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The quest for the perfect headunit