PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Factory Bose system, constant whining noise

Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Default Factory Bose system, constant whining noise

Hey Everybody,

Hope you guys can help a newb out. I just bought my 2004 from Carmax. It's already been in service for a week. They replaced a loose side mirror, chipped windshield and leaky water pump. BUT, they can't figure out why I am getting that ground, alternator winding noise outta the driver side rear speaker. They replaced the speaker with a new one and the noise is still coming through.

The noise only comes through when the radio is on and the volume is at least one bar up. If you turn it all the way down, noise goes away. Noise gets louder when accelerating. Doesn't matter if playing FM or CD.

Any idea

Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 AM

Been googling all over the internet and it seems like this is a fairly common problem among the factory Bose GM sound systems. I have seen people recommend and try just about everything. Replacing the amp and speakers doesn't seem to be the solution. BUT, it sounds like some people have found some truth to the rear volume control panel being the cause of the problem. Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Maybe the ground cable is intercepted somehow? I hope you find a solution asap!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Orale
Maybe the ground cable is intercepted somehow? I hope you find a solution asap!
Thanks! I think I found it. If I thump the rear audio control panel, it goes away for a while. Rear panel may need to be replaced or maybe there is something grounding out back there.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Got it fixed...I think. I took apart the entire center console to look at the amp and see if I could find anything that could be grounding out. I saw a bare wire that was wrapped in the plug going into the back of the rear panel. Nothing I could really do about that. However, I did see a bare wire coming out of the big plug coming out of the back of the amp. It was in the harness but looked like it had been cut or something. I took some electrical tape and wrapped it up so it couldn't touch anything anymore and voila! I haven't heard a peep out of the speakers since!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by AztecH2
Got it fixed...I think. I took apart the entire center console to look at the amp and see if I could find anything that could be grounding out. I saw a bare wire that was wrapped in the plug going into the back of the rear panel. Nothing I could really do about that. However, I did see a bare wire coming out of the big plug coming out of the back of the amp. It was in the harness but looked like it had been cut or something. I took some electrical tape and wrapped it up so it couldn't touch anything anymore and voila! I haven't heard a peep out of the speakers since!
Glad you got it fixed sir!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Orale
Glad you got it fixed sir!
Appreciate it Bro!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:53 PM

just saw this post and glad you figured it out. i wouldve suggested that the wiring wasnt grounded or insulated properly for interference.....