PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Default Tail Lights

As our HUMMERS age some of the bulbs are starting to burn out and need replacing..

My right rear Turn Signal lamp burned out..So while I was in there I changed out all the bulbs in both Taillight assemblies..(4 bulbs in all)

Replacement bulb forall the four bulbs inboth Taillights (2 ea)are;
3157 LL (LL= long life) $5.00 for a pack of two.

If y'all don't mind, I will attempt to explain as to how to remove the Taillight Assy...(I know someone explained this before..But, you try to find it)

1. Remove the two small Phillips head screws holding the inside edge of the Taillight assy (you have to open the tailgate)

2. Pull straight back on the Taillight assy levering most of your pressure to the outside edge.
(There is two peg like things [top and bottom of the assy]stuck into a tight fitting hole in the body, so it will take some effort, as they are pretty snug..but, they should eventually pop out)

(Put a dab of vasoline on the pegs before you stick them back in, this makes future entries easier)

3. Twist each lamp base 1/4 turn CCW and the lamp base/holder will come right out of the Taillight assy.

4. While grasping the bulb, Pull straight out from the base..Insert new Bulb.
(Spray a little lubricating contact cleaner in the socket and on the bulb base, before you put the new bulb in.)

5. Add a little vinly/rubber spray protectant to the rubber gasket on the base.

6. Re-install Lamp and base into Taillight assy using a 1/4 turn CW twist of your wrist

7. Align the pegs on the Back of the Taillight assembly with the mating holes on the body.

8. Gently, but firmly smack the Taillight assy with the heel of your hand,to seat the pegs.

9. Re-install and tighten the two screws and go wipe off the finger prints and smudges from Taillight assy lens.

10. Repeat for the other side. (left side, after you remove the screws, close the tailgate)

Old 04-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: Tail Lights

(Put a dab of vasoline on the pegs before you stick them back in, this makes future entries easier)
My wife keeps telling me the same thing...[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Old 04-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Old 04-21-2007, 10:49 PM

You forgot bulb grease

Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Well I did fail to mention, I sprayed a contact cleaner called DE-Oxit on the socket and in the bulb base.

Good catch Chris...

Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 PM

Name:  b.gif
Views: 1517
Size:  21.8 KB

Very good detailed instructions.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Racerboy80

My wife keeps telling me the same thing...[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
FUNNAY!!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM

I would never use Vaseline jelly on any plastic parts on a vehicle that will be in temps that exceed 98 degrees F. Vaseline is designed to melt at or around 98-99 degrees and is mixture that contains high amounts of unique waxes and paraffin. Melting jelly is not good, and it leaves behind wax residue, maycause some plastic to seize to plastic. (I say may, not will, depends on the situation.)
If you want to lube these locating and/or fastening pins, use a lithium grease or a dry lube (such as made by Kent Industries). Personally, I would never lube these parts.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: f5fstop

I would never use Vaseline jelly on any plastic parts on a vehicle that will be in temps that exceed 98 degrees F. Vaseline is designed to melt at or around 98-99 degrees and is mixture that contains high amounts of unique waxes and paraffin. Melting jelly is not good, and it leaves behind wax residue, maycause some plastic to seize to plastic. (I say may, not will, depends on the situation.)
If you want to lube these locating and/or fastening pins, use a lithium grease or a dry lube (such as made by Kent Industries). Personally, I would never lube these parts.
I'm glad you used this disclaimer, the same can be said for WD-40 in that, it dissolves some plastics..BUT NOT ALL....In this case, the vaseline will only help with an easy removal again in the future of the lamp assembly and won't hurt a thing..There is a thread here where someone changed out their lights and broke the plastic inserts that the pegs engages, while he was trying to remove the lamp assemblies..they were stuck on good....I must confess, mine broke too and I repaired them with epoxy..So a little dab of any greasewill work..but mostpeople have vaseline...Let us know when you have to change your Brake light bulbs..I'd like to hear how it went.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:51 PM

use Dielectric grease like the kind you use on plug wires. You can get it at any parts or electric shop

Quick Reply: Tail Lights