PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

PCM for Less

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Default RE: PCM for Less

ORIGINAL: mountainbiker

Thanks finskeeper.

I assume the "core" that they talk about is the "computer chip" within the PCM. If you want to retain your original programming, I assume you would just buy the "core" or the PCM.

I did something similar with my Ford Explorer. I bought and replace th computer chip in its PCM. I had to send the company the engine code on my Explorer's PCM. It stalls sometimes which I attribute to the new chip. I may switch back one day to verify if this is the case. If a do for the H3, I would like to go back to stock if ever needed.

What kind of changes have you noticed? (Or should I be looking at your other post?)

Thanks again finskeeper for the info.
mountainbiker, here is a pic of the core that you will be sending to them to program. Just remove the 3 cables and then the core off the firewall.

You can have them program one of theirs and then when it comes in just send your core back to them and get a $125.00 refund (if sent in within 7 days) or keep your original as I did for a total of $289.00. There are other options, just contact Alvin and he will walk you through it!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 PM

If you are thinking about doing PCMforLess be aware that if you do the core program, you will need to take your HUMMER to someone with a TECH II to have the Crankshaft Angle Sensor Error (CASE) relearned.

Also, I didn't see anything in the FAQs about the CASE relearn.

I just received my core from PCMforLess. I, unfortunately, didn't know about the CASE relearn and have no GM dealer nearby willing to assist. I am trying to see if Alvin at PCMforLess can help me out. I hope he can help.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Don't worry about it..when you get your original back from Alvin your idot light will go away..Nothing is being harmed with the way it is now,,just hang on, or put a piece of tape over the SES light and wait till you get yours is back....Let us know how you like the tune once you get it back..

Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM

I just got the core (like pictured in H3_Hummer post). It is sitting in the USPS box in front of me as I type this post. I am waiting to see if Alvin will be willing to do the loaner or program my stock core...without too much additional $$$.

If I run with this one without the CASE relearn, does the DIC / dash indicate an error? Or will the DIC / dash just not show an error even if there really is one in the future.

Has anyone had to do the CASE relearn? Can you describe the process? Is it an involved process? Or is it connect up the vehicle to the TECH II, press a few buttons, and away I go? How many labor hours will the dealership charge? Our dealerships in this area are $160 per hour...oh the joys of supporting freedom overseas.

I look forward to posting about how the H3 runs after installation.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 PM

When I had mine done be cause of a brand new core..My dealer charged me $79.88

Work order code: C100 has PO315 Crankshaft variation not learned...Performed relearn procedure and cleared codes..

I understand now you bought one of his programmed cores and it needs to learn you truck...I thought you just had one of his loaners, waiting on yours to be programmed..

Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 PM

I just yesterday finished the process with the final pcm. I followed the loaner program, instead of trying to get someone to do the CASE process. With the loaner PCM, I did experience more power and quicker shifts, but the engine did idle a bit rough (which is now gone now that the final PCM is installed).

I have also installed the k&N CAI and am really pleased with the responsiveness of the engine/shifting. The only downer is the noise the intake makes when I step on it.

Its well worth it, and very easy to do.

Rich

Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Just paid for and ordered my PCM tune up from Alvintoday...Now the wait[:@]

Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Okay, I got it in tonight. I only drove about 10 miles from one base to the other, and didn't get it up over 50 m.p.h. It was an easy install, the ignition on, ignition off, the spin around on your toes seemed like it took the most time. Tomorrow I will have a chance to check it out more and check if the limiter is gone. The thing definitely gave it more zip going from a standstill.

Questions:
1. I now have 1053 miles, but now the "check oil" is being displayed. Did you get this after swapping the PCM?
2. I didn't get any other errors or faults such as "check engine". It might run just a hair rough (but smooth as butter compared to my older car). I assume the CASE relearn should and needs to be done. Did you get a "check engine" light?

Old 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the LOANER PCM or yours reprogrammed and ready to go? My loaner had the Check Engine light on, but they said they take that off on the loaners. It could have just been a mistake.

Mine also had the Oil Change notification, but then again, that is specific to the PCM, so you probably just have a loaner PCM that has alot of miles on it.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 PM

I'm confused...Are you driving with the LOANER right now??? and waiting on your's to be sent back from Alvin all reprogrammed???..Otherwise It has been reported here thatthe Loaner runs rough and not as tuned up as your reprogrammed original one will be.

Or did youget a new PCM form Alvin and keptthe old one?

The reason I ask, is because your original one should not have had to go through the security re-learn.

Quick Reply: PCM for Less