PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM for Less

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Default PCM for Less

I started visiting this forum after I purchased my new H3 in Sept. It has been informative and entertaining to read the posts and responses. Just wanted to pass on my positive experience with PCM for Less. I purchased a tune and I have to say it has changed the driving experience for my H3 significantly! There were times that my H3 just wasn't as peppy as I would like. After the tune, the shifts were quicker and cleaner. Alvin was really good to work with. I still would like to see a larger engine in the H3s, but this tune has me satisfied for now. I love the look and the feel of the H3. I have had many (try 20+ vehicles in the last 15 years) vehicles and this is one that I will hold on to, unless of course GM comes out with an H3 with a V-8. Then all bets are off.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Default RE: PCM for Less

Welcome and thanks for that first posting...Yes, your testimony along with many others about Alvin's PCM tune is terrific...I've heard nothing but positive from many satisfied customers about their tunes...

I'm with you on the V8 option

Old 11-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Welcome H3SC.

How does this "PCM for Less" work? How do you load into the H3? Can you save off your original H3 computer load? Do you have to send them your computer load first for modification?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mountainbiker

Welcome H3SC.

How does this "PCM for Less" work? How do you load into the H3? Can you save off your original H3 computer load? Do you have to send them your computer load first for modification?
Mountainbiker,

I don't know how to post a link to a previous thread, but do a search on 'PCMforless'. There is a lengthy thread on procedures and results. I too have reprogrammed the PCM in my H3 with very positive results. Your PCM is your vehicle's computer that is located under the hood on the passenger side firewall. It's about 6" x 5" and has a ribbed heatsink. You cant miss it. I chose to have Kelly and Alvin send me a loaner, which I installed while mine was being reprogrammed. They mail a loaner... you mail in yours... you get yours back and send the loaner back. From start to finish, about 10 days for me. I'm very pleased with the results. Best money you could spend in a mod IMO.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks finskeeper.

I assume the "core" that they talk about is the "computer chip" within the PCM. If you want to retain your original programming, I assume you would just buy the "core" or the PCM.

I did something similar with my Ford Explorer. I bought and replace th computer chip in its PCM. I had to send the company the engine code on my Explorer's PCM. It stalls sometimes which I attribute to the new chip. I may switch back one day to verify if this is the case. If a do for the H3, I would like to go back to stock if ever needed.

What kind of changes have you noticed? (Or should I be looking at your other post?)

Thanks again finskeeper for the info.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM

For me, more torque on the low and high ends. They asked me if I tow anything. (Occasionally, I tow a boat that weighs approx 3500#.) Whatever they did, I've got more standing and cruising acceleration towing that thing behind me. I also installed a K&N CAI. Because additional air flow gets to the mass air sensor, they somehow took that into consideration. They also removed the speed limiter, which is set to restrict speeds over approx 100mph.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Oh, and in answer to wanting to retain your original settings...

The loaner is programmed to 'factory defaults'. They will let you keep the loaner for $125.00.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM

finskeeper - great info. thank you.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 AM

Mountainbiker,
Looks like finskeeper took care of you. What I like about PCM for less was their money back guarantee, not to mention I really saw an improvement in the way the H3 drove. For the money, you can't beat it. I do have a K&N FIPK and saw some improvement when I added, but the "tune" from PCM was the ticket.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: finskeeper

Oh, and in answer to wanting to retain your original settings...

The loaner is programmed to 'factory defaults'. They will let you keep the loaner for $125.00.
I would like to make a little correction to your reply.

You don't keep the loaner core as it only has default (Factory settings in in with the check engine light removed).

I took option #1 which they send you a programed PCM and you have the choice of sending your original PCM back or keeping both and they keep the $125.00 deposit on the core. I kept my original PCM just in case I may need it.

If you send in for the option that they send you a loaner, you receive the loaner and then send in your original PCM and they program it to your settings and then send it back and then you have 7 days to send back the loaner.

Another option is to just send in your original PCM and then they program it and send it back and don;t have any core charge but you will have to let your H3 sit until you receive your PCM back.

Quick Reply: PCM for Less