PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Be nice, I'm a noob

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Default Be nice, I'm a noob

Ok, just got my H3 and couldn't be happier...and this comes after a VERY difficult decision of getting rid or my other 2 rides that I was madly in love with (VX, Ranger). However, one drive and I was hooked on these awesome rigs. As you can tell if you clicked on those links, not only am I big into yellow but I am also big into aftermarket.

The biggest thing I noticed about the hummer, is the same thing I noticed with my colorado with the i5 - power deficit. I have read TONS on here about what you all have done. I think there are about 40 different threads "who has put this on? Is this better?" So what I would like to do is pool all of your collective knowledges into one "uber" thread.

Before I ever purchased the h3, I decided the following was needed: CAI, Exhaust, TBS (I know some dont like them, but what can it hurt...they are $80 on ebay), headers, and a programmer/tuner of some sort.

I don't care about sound, economy, or even appearance, I only care about making the thing more powerful. My question is what will give me the most power in these various categories? I have had a hard time finding dyno sheets on all of these things to know what the actual benefit will be. So, if you have had more than one brand of any of these categories or have driven H3s with more than one brand of these things, your input would be appreciated.

Now, my second question (I just keep going), after I add up the HP gain on the different manufactures' sites I am coming up with over 100 added horse power. That is 10 HP - TBS, 18 - CAI, 15 - exhaust, 20 - headers, and 40 - Raptorq PCM.

Obviously, I think that is not gunna happen...100+ HP to an i5 without forced induction? PFFT! Right!!! BUT, how close do you all think I can come with all of those mods on a 3.5L?

Question 3 (last one I swear): Raptorq 40 HP gain claims...fact or fiction? I know PCMforless is much cheaper and Kelly seems to be a stud, but if I can get an extra 20 HP, the extra $200 is worth it.

Thank you all for your help. It is my goal that with the wealth of knowledge here that this thread will become the ultimate question answerer for newcomers seeking power, like myself.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Default RE: Be nice, I'm a noob

Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 AM

Just kidding......Welcome and CONGRATS!!!

I'm sure a 3er can help ya with your question!!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:09 AM

that hurts man...you cut me real deep just now

Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

You asked, so let me start with the throttle body spcer. JUNK, but a great desk paper weight. Read: Throttle body spacer.....the myth is over
A header might??? get you a small power gain, but for the bucks, not cost effective in the least. RE: H3 Headers
Raptorq: From a previous post of mine, you'll get the point:
"You have to ask yourself this:
1) Has anybody on this forum had one negative comment of any kind regarding PCMforless??
2) Why doesn't Preditor do the tuning,but farm it out to raptorq and charge $599.95plus $400.00 core?; and,
3) Whereare the dyno results?
PCMforless is significantly less than half that price, and your butt dyno will tell you you made a wise investment in bang for the buck!"

Until I see their Dyno...........it's puffing, and they do not have it to show you. Dynos results also have little if nothing to do with real world applications.

Last, you are mistaken about what actually occurs to your engine performance when attempting to tune with different mods, by different mfgs. You CANNOT add together claimed HP from various mods. It does NOT work that way. You may keep moving in a positive direction, but simplistically, acertain motor is only capable of a certain amount of reliable HP/TQ. Closer you get the less gain you achieve with each mod.

Anybody who has ever built a race motor (drag or otherwise) can tell you the first 50 HP is cheap, from there it starts to get expensive, and those last 50 cost a fortune. Keep in mind, a race motor is not reliable enough to be a driver. Hope this helps.

Please search the forums for much more info.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

AND, it would be hard for Kelly to be a stud considering she's a woman

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM

Oh wow, LOL, I'm laughing so hard

tbigity I greatly appreciate your compliment but I kind of, err, lack the equipment to be a stud

DocOlds gave you a lot of good info. The most popular bang(s) for the buck are an intake, exhaust, and a tune. Like he said, the throttle body spacer is a pretty noisemaker, but that's about it. I have also heard of folks losing gas mileage from it. I know you said you don't care about economy, *but* if it's subtracting gas mileage and not making you go faster, it's not money well spent

I have not seen a dyno sheet from the Raptorq. I don't make my money from knocking other companies; with that being said though, I think the 40hp gain isn't very realistic for this model.

To put it in perspective, I gained 40hp (dyno'd results) from headers, exhaust and a tune on my old 2000 Z28, and that is a vehicle that starts with 300hp. With your H3's, they don't come from the factory with nearly that much.

They may not be talking about peak hp, I'm not sure, like I said I haven't seen the dyno. Also keep in mind that there is variation to dynamometers, they can be manipulated to an extent...and also dynos of different makers will also show different results. Are dynos an awesome tool? Hell yes! But you've just got to take what you read with a grain of salt. My personal car has been on the dyno once in the entire year I've owned it. I do my tuning on the street and at the track, and let my e/t's dictate what is working and what's not.

Our in-house model is a 224 XLC Dynojet, it's a 2WD setup, which is why we haven't dyno'd the H3. To be frank, after having so many of our PCM's hit the market and do so well, I don't really see the need to hunt down an H3 and rent someone else's dyno to prove a point. We have had several Colorados (same engine) and their dyno graphs are viewable on our website if you want their numbers. It's not just about peak gains though...we do a lot of part throttle tuning to give power where you didn't have it (or had very little) before.

I can tell you this...our tunes are proven, several H3 owners have them. I like to think our customer service rocks, also. We're there when you need us, not just when you want to buy something.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Doc, thanks, that is basically in a nut shell what I was wondering and couldnt think to formulate in a sentence...good to know it just doesnt add up. I had an i5 in my colorado and getting these puppies to output 300hp just seemed unrealistic, like I said earlier, without forced induction. Looks like I won't get getting the TBS (thanks for the helpful link...that is absolutely nuts) and the CAI/Exhaust/PCM will be the first on my list. Maybe, when I become independently wealthy (pfft! riiight) I will get headers. Kelly (sorry for the gender confusion), you can plan on hearing from me in the near future. Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Kelly if you could be a stud you would be. How's that?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM

I guess "stud" to me is not gender specific. I use the term to mean anyone who rocks, in general. You might say "____ rocks" or just as well say "____ is a stud." Though I must say that I reserve "stud" for those with more rockitude...thus...Kelly :-)

Quick Reply: Be nice, I'm a noob