PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Hummer H2/H3 E85 Flex Fuel upgrade/conversion kits Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default Hummer H2/H3 E85 Flex Fuel upgrade/conversion kits Info

Update: (scroll further down to see system information)

I've been a bit busy that past couple of days. I'm using what free time I have to talk to people about upgrading the H3 to E85, getting in touch with the companies that make the kits, etc. I'm getting 50/50 Yes and No mixed opinions about doing it. Some sources inside GM say it can be done with no problem, others say don't do it because it may cause some kind of advanced deterioration of your fuel system components.

The point is, I'm really interested in doing this, so I'm going to find out as much as I can, and may or may not do it. I have a '06 H3 3.5L. Right now, I'm trying to get a copy of the instructions because I still can't figure out how to safely remove the components I need to get to the Fuel Injectors. Little things like that are getting in the way.

The only EPA-approved company that makes this system is based here in Chicago, about 25 minutes from where I work. That's the company I'm focusing my energy on right now.

So, for anybody who's interested, I'll keep you updated on what I find out. So far from my research and talking to people whom I have business ties with through our company, alot of the negative points I've been told about it damaging your engine, etc. isn't all true. I'm still gathering more info. The last thing I want to do is destroy my fuel system, but so far, that doesn't look possible.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: My Hummer H3 - Installing the E85 kit

It's more in the seals / rubber polymer type components that can degrade over time. Remember that E85 isn't run through a pipeline anywhere yet because of the same concerns, and also if it leaks / breaks there it's millions of dollars to clean up vs. relatively little in a vehicle.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM

I was looking at the same think a few weeks ago and came across an interesting article on E85 conversions. The article link is http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm You may have already seen this but it really seemed easy to do. Hope this helped or gives you more info than you had.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

You already know my thoughts Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done? The concern is code errors/service light issues and rough idle,not the fuel system.

Thought I'd post a GM pic of the 07 I5 injector side for everybody to gander at.

Name:  07203_7L20I520LLR20HH320LoR2.jpg
Views: 4170
Size:  64.0 KB

Old 11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm talking to someone from this company:

http://www.fullflexint.com/

I believe he is the head of the company (not sure). He is also a Hummer owner and president of the Treasure Valley Hummer Club in Idaho, so it looks like we all have something in common. I asked him to come check out our forum and perhaps he'll have some info he can give us.

He has run the kit in their H3 since they got it. He said it's only run one tank of normal gas. It's been running E85 for 7000 miles so far. I just think it's interesting to have someone involved in our Hummer community that is also a part of something like this. Hopefully he can drop in and be a part of our community.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the problem Doc. I can't figure out how to get that plastic housing off to get to the injectors. It looks like there are a couple of bolts holding it on, but you cant pull the plastic away. I wasn't sure if that was a sealed container of some kind, or just a cover to protect the fuel lines. That's why I'm wondering if there's more involved in the H3, like taking a fuel line off or removing something else in order to get to them.

He said they haven't had any problems with E85 in the H3.

His name is Alex. Here's a video of him taking the E85 H3 out in the dunes of Idaho:

http://www.fullflexint.com/audio/E2.wmv

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Get yourself a shop manual. Have your bud HummerMike copy a couple of pages from work if you do not want to plunk down the cash for a full set...............I think the Helms is like $135.00?????

Just a plastic cover, but it has all the Dolly Lama's secrets inside it and the curse of the Pharaoh Tutenkamun to those who dare to open it! [8D]
Take out the 4 or 5 fasteners and give the lid a pull.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

There's two parts to that thing though. It looks like you'd have to remove the entire housing to get to the injectors.

As busy as Mike has been lately, I doubt I'd see those pages anytime soon

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Lid first I believe.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I just hope the fuel lines don't pass through the other part of the thing. I'll check it out this weekend, after I lower my front end

Quick Reply: Hummer H2/H3 E85 Flex Fuel upgrade/conversion kits Info