PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Any truth to fuel mileage enhancing "chips"

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Default Any truth to fuel mileage enhancing "chips"

I noticed EBay has these "fuel" / "Horse Power" enhancing chip modules for sale. The claims are big but is there even the slightest truth to them? Or should I shove it over to the side with those extended auto warranty offers I see all the time.
Thanks for your opinions!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM

I think if it was true the auto manufactures would have already thought of it. The only thing I think those would do is make your wallet lighter.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking, thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thumper
yeah thats what i was thinking, thanks
Calif Phil is right on...

If you install a power programer and improve the engine performance most drivers will just put there foot into the pedal even more. It no fun if you cant do that! No mpg gains in that! I found the only upgrade that gives a good increase in mpg was a supercharger install. I have installed many and always had an increase in mpg and even more of an increase when towing with the supercharger installed.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 AM

Circutguy, can you elaborate a bit on that... I mean I dont know much about "superchargers" except to say that I always thought they were like "tubo" charged vehicles. In the latter, I can tell you that gas mileage was not its strong suit. I always pictured Supercharged engines as ones that gulped gas by the glass full.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Hi guys,
What about converting it to LPG. Has some one did it ?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 PM

waste of money

Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Circuitguy
Calif Phil is right on...

If you install a power programer and improve the engine performance most drivers will just put there foot into the pedal even more. It no fun if you cant do that! No mpg gains in that! I found the only upgrade that gives a good increase in mpg was a supercharger install. I have installed many and always had an increase in mpg and even more of an increase when towing with the supercharger installed.

I have to totally agree with you. I installed a Jet Performance Module in my 09 H3. Everyday my foot is in it taking advantage of the extra power. The jet Module works! and the drop in fuel milage with my foot in it is tiny.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 AM

I now have a SuperChips PowerPaq, an AiRaid drop in filter (NOT A FULL CAI), new plugs & wires & a flowmaster 50 series with dual pipes coming out the center. I have increased my avg mpg's to 11.7. That's a pretty big jump from 8.8 when I originally got her. I have also dumped royal purple in my differentials & kept the Decron in the tranny case since the dealership changed it for me when they repaired certain internals. I STILL want a FULL CAI, flywheel & a throttlebody spacer. I HOPE to break 13 when all is said & done. I also drive to apt's, check on job sites & I am NEVER home so I do have probably the worst driving enviroment for the proverbial tank... I do sometimes get on her a bit to make her growl or just to feel the hp increase but I more often than not drive it like a 3 cylinder GEO METRO! LOL. I enjoy just being INSIDE my big black B....... lol. On the topic of the negative onlookers, I REALLY could care less... Or maybe I do. ALMOST feeling sorry for them due to their need to LOOK @ such things in a negative manor. That all boils down to choice!

I feel MUCH better getting that out! Hope you all made it atleast HALF way through! lol!

Your enviromental Pal,
Michael

Old 06-19-2010, 09:43 PM

8.8 mpg. Good Lord, is this normal? I sold my 07' H3X a couple of months ago and bought my 03' H2. I don't pay much attention to that dash mpg monitor. I write down the odometer reading on each gas receipt and have yet to go below 11.6. On a recent 160 mile round trip, it showed 12.5 on the dash. I just filled it up after a week, including that trip and I have 12.2 actual. Everything on this Hummer is stock, including the Donaldson paper air filter. My H2, right now has 98,587 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Any truth to fuel mileage enhancing "chips"