PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Which Vans are better; Chevy, Dodge or Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default Which Vans are better; Chevy, Dodge or Ford?

My wife and I have wanted to buy a camper van for a long time. RoadTrek is the main company we wanted to go with, but of course buy an older one since the newer ones are so expensive.

I might just go ahead and buy a used conversion van and gut it to make our own camper van. You can buy all of the stuff you need and install it yourself, but I don't know which ones are the most reliable. I like the Dodge vans the most, but obviously want something where the engine will lost a long time. I know Dodge has had their share of bad engines, and with what I know, Chevy engines seem to last longer then anything. I was just wondering what you guys thought. I want something where the chasis and engine will last, but probably would buy one from the mid 1990's since those are still in great shape and you can get one cheap.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Default RE: Which Vans are better; Chevy, Dodge or Ford?

I found the ford ones to be pretty good in price and options. They also seem to take a good beating.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

I/we already know what MuddyD's answer is, so I'm gonna say GM. GMCs usually have a few frillsw/ the interior that you wouldn't need for your intentions HG, so go with a Chevy. With that said, Idefer toMuddy as to his thought on a 1/2 ton v. 3/4 ton for your purposes, he has seat time and works his van! I'm not aChrysler guy, but if the year range you are looking at has the 318 Mopar, that motor is like the energizer rabbit, it will keep going.......... a long time!

IMO a long wheel base 1/2 ton would do it, short wheel base will limit room for a camper type set up, but it is doable. How much does the "camper stuff" weigh?

You want the middy fridge, plasma tv, subwoofer, captains chairs (removable) stove, 10 speakers, fold out awning, lighting, trailer hitch, folding table, bed, sink, portapotty, wireless laptop set up, shades or blinds, all your miscellaneous goodies, and **** carpet, etc... ????? Oh boy, 3/4 ton????

Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Doc....

I say this.... Get the V-8 no matter what you get.... the difference between the 4.2 and the 4.6 is off the charts. If you find a 5.4 then even better.

You can beat the hell out of a Ford and it takes it and wants more. Those vans are tanks. My 2000 E-250 only got the transmission rebuilt once in it's 229,408 mile life.... and needed a starter when it was retired. It still ran strong and used no oil.

My 2007 E-250 SD has the V-8 and in it's short 19,000 mile 5 month life I have only had a couple oil cooler issues. I have had 2 55gal drums of 40w in the back along with the rest of my stuff and it still cruises 75mph at 2500rpm with a smooth ride.

Ford vans are known for their awful brakes. You have to really keep up with them because those calipers are crap. I am still on the first set of brakes on the new van so Ford may have made some major changes... I don't know yet. I do like having the 4 wheel disc brakes on my super duty though....

Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator

we tow with a ford motor home now, and im so sorry that we didnt keep the dodge motor home...the ford 460 cant do half the work of the dodge 440...

when i worked for my college, they had a fleet of 15 passenger dodge vans with the 5.9 in it, and they were good running vans...

they would also do crazy burnouts...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]ReSpEcT ThE VaN!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

Thanks Doc....

I say this.... Get the V-8 no matter what you get.... the difference between the 4.2 and the 4.6 is off the charts. If you find a 5.4 then even better.

You can beat the hell out of a Ford and it takes it and wants more. Those vans are tanks. My 2000 E-250 only got the transmission rebuilt once in it's 229,408 mile life.... and needed a starter when it was retired. It still ran strong and used no oil.

My 2007 E-250 SD has the V-8 and in it's short 19,000 mile 5 month life I have only had a couple oil cooler issues. I have had 2 55gal drums of 40w in the back along with the rest of my stuff and it still cruises 75mph at 2500rpm with a smooth ride.

Ford vans are known for their awful brakes. You have to really keep up with them because those calipers are crap. I am still on the first set of brakes on the new van so Ford may have made some major changes... I don't know yet. I do like having the 4 wheel disc brakes on my super duty though....
Just get brembo brakes and it solves everything. I know this because my friend had the E-250 and he said that they are a major improvement.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Depending on which year you get, the chevy's are nice. There was a redesign around '97 or so. I've had a number of 15-passenger vans in a business I used to run - '88 Ford, '95 Ford, '90 Dodge, '98 Chevy, '98 GMC, '03 Chevy. The Chevy/GMC's are newer, but they're just better vans - better engines, smoother transmissions, more stable on the road. That's what I'd pick. Ford and Dodge really didn't put any money into their vans in the '90's while GM did, and it shows.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 PM

Mike, I actually was looking ata few conversion vans before I found out I couldn't trade in my truck[:@]They are all similiar but I give style,paint,and interior to Dodge...they just seem to be much nicer inside. If you were in the PA area I could hook you up with a few really nice ones.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 AM

Quick Reply: Which Vans are better; Chevy, Dodge or Ford?