PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Supercharger for the 2006 H3

Old 10-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Default Supercharger for the 2006 H3

Does anyone know of anyone who makes a supercharger for the 06 H3?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Default Vortech does, kind of....

They make a kit for the 2008 h3 I-5. I happen to be a Vortech dealer (I'm a drag racer) but I also have an 06 H3. I do not have a kit on my h3 at this time as I'm waiting for the factory GM warrantee to expire in about 14,000 more miles. If you are interested, I can easily call my guy over at Vortech to see if their kit will work on an 06 H3. My guess is that it might have something to do with the computer calibration that Vortech would flash in to your ECU. The 07 and 08 H3's have about 17 more HP than our 06's. I am guessing, but I think the difference comes as a result of a more aggressive factory tune up. I could totally be wrong about that. I would imagine that if the Vortech tune won't work for the 06's, there is probably someone out there who could custom tune it. I'd be willing to bet the kit would bolt right up to your 06, but I can check on that.

If you want, send an email to SwillRacer@dragracemustangparts.com and I will call Vortech and get the low-down. I can also price a kit out for you. I can save you big $ over their retail price.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM

To follow up on my post.....I did check with Vortech and the only reason they don't offer a kit for the 07/08 H3's is because they've only ever tested their stuff on the 08's which is the the model year when they developed the kit. There would be minor differences in the tune-up that they would flash on to the ECU and, of course, they said that if I were to try running their 08 kit on my 06 the Vortech warrantee would be void.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 PM

im willing to take the risk dont have any warranty left any price ideas? what else would i need?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 PM

I too have a 06, however I know that they changed motors to the 3.7 in 07 I have a feeling that the 08 will not match up, I believe there are intake differences and fuel rails as well, do a search on google or something, even on this forum

Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM

the thing is this....the head unit is not bolted on to the intake, it bolts on to the engine itself so I'm guess it would mount ok assuming GM just bored out the same block a bit more. I feel that anyone who has a little bit of mechanical aptitude could make it work. You can pretty much supercharge just about any gas burning vehicle on the road with a little know-how. I've worked on a lot of "non-kit" installs on mustangs and various other "muscle cars" and it really comes down to a few things: 1) Can you find a good place to mount the head unit (this may involve fabrication of your own brackets)? and 2) Are you able to to tune your vehicle's EFI system once you get it setup? I'm glossing over a lot of smaller details, but the point I'm trying to make is, much like most things, it can be done with a little bit of effort. My H3 is still covered under the factory warrantee at this point. If it wasn't, and I didn't need my H3 for daily transport, then I would have no fear trying to install the 2008 H3 kit on my 2006. The hardest thing for me would be figuring out a way to tune it without having to replace the whole EFI system with an aftermarket unit. I've never really put much thought in to hot rodding my H3 so I really have no idea what the tuner market for this vehicle is. You'd need a system that would allow you to adjust fuel and timing via a handheld programmer or maybe a custom burnt chip. You hardcore H3 off-roaders will know more about this stuff when it comes to H3's than I.

That being said, I'm only know the vortech/paxton product line. There may be other options out there somewhere for 2006 H3's. I think rotex makes h3 kits and I'm pretty sure I heard about a turbo kit for the h3 too. I have no idea how my pricing would compare to these other options or if competing H3 kits would work on 2006's out of the box or if you'd have to mod them to make them work. I mostly work on mustangs and other traditional v8 'muscle cars' so that is where my working knowledge lies.

Last edited by SwillRacer; 12-03-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by valleysniper23
im willing to take the risk dont have any warranty left any price ideas? what else would i need?
send me an email and I can quote you a price.

thanks,

swillracer@dragracemustangparts.com

Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM

thank you for the post

Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM

I have a 2009 championship edition H3 with 300 miles on it.
It has the V8 (same as an Alpha) I would like to add a supercharger.
Do any of you know anyone who has done one? Also where is the best place to get
the best price on a Vortech Kit?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger for the 2006 H3