PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Supercharger for H3 - Wheel to Wheel Powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Default New Supercharger for H3 - Wheel to Wheel Powertrain

http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/pc-124-...er-system.aspx

Old 04-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Default RE: New Supercharger for H3 - Wheel to Wheel Powertrain

How much work is involved?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 PM

I think IMO that the Supercharger would be the way to go (instant boost)..You don't have to fool around with the exhaust manifold...And On some units, you don't have to worry about an Intercooler either.

I think the prices are too high though.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Yep not enough bang for the buck.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 AM

Has anyone had any success with the Wheel to Wheel supercharger system?

Looking at the price, it appears as if it is competitive with other supercharing systems on the market today.

Also, I have heard that Wheel to Wheel and Antonov will be showing an H3 supercharged vehicle at SEMA.

I can find out more information if anyone is interested.

Best Regards
Dom Toni

Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I personally do not think the I5 is a good candidate for SC. Not to say it can't be done, but at 10.0:1 stock compression ratio, longevity will suffer, and the kits people have bantered about on here have reliability issues?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM

Dr Olds,

Thanks for your comments. I don’t claim to be an expert in supercharging or engine design, and my comments are how I see the application.

The GM I5 3.5 and 3.7 liter motors, as applied in the H3, are a bit anemic (not my words) in standard form and the vehicle needs more umph to make it attractive.

The idea behind supercharging an H3 is to make the car more driveable on a daily basis. The motor will work less, and fuel economy should (if driven without much boost) improve. To meet the new emissions requirements modern engines all have sophisticated engine management systems with knock sensors. Improved fuels also make for cleaner running and better combustion. Actually the supercharger does not make the engine more polluting .

I understand yourcompression ratiocomments for the I5 motor. But to clarify, Corvetteshave been supercharged and they use 10.5 compression ratios.

Wheel to Wheel have an excellent reputation and I believe their kit is very well engineered and executed. Only the supercharger has moving parts, so reliability of the kit should not suffer.

I know some SC kits have been less than perfectly engineered, but look at the people behind the job.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards
Dom

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 AM

How could you call the I5 anemic? the 3.7L is making 48.4 hp per cylinder. That would be 387.2 hp for a V8. Not even close with the Alpha. Another way to look at it is 65.4 hp per litter. That type of hp per litter is knocking on Corvette efficiency. Just my .02

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 AM

I did some research on this and the Head Unit is state of the Art design and a new technology with a two speed clutch system. These have been used with VW's for a few years now.It's only running 8psi just like the turbo system. That is a little over a half atmosphere (1 Atmosphere = 14.7 psi). Any type of forced induction the main concern is detonation and fuel. This anemicobservation has to with power to weight ration. 2 1/2 Tons to 5 cylinder, if the V8 had the same outputs as the I5 it would be a REAL SLUG. If you can effectively produce the same amount of HP/Tq in the usable RPM bandwith less weight than you ahead of the power curve. I tend to lean towards Turbos because of there torque production and apparent boost at idle is more linear, Superchargers are more on a ramp line on power.

A little off topic but it relates to basic mind set. In WWII, resources were limited, The Japanese built small engines but were Hi-Rev to get the HP out of them, The Brits built mostly straight inlines to get torque at low revs, The Germans combined both with there advancements in technology application, we took the best of both and made the best eventually. This is is still reflecting today in allot of our current automobiles.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Good observations and info. My defense of the I5 comes from the fact that I was a "hater" also. That stemmed from the original 3.5L. Why replace the 4.3L 195 hp-250 ft/lbs for 220/220? Why gain 20 hp at the cost of 30 ft/lbs? The basic design of the 4.3L is a V8 minus 2 cylinders. A good engine in its own right. Then I actually drove an I5 and was impressed. I remember when less then 10 years ago the 350's in full size pickups were only 250 hp/300 or so ft/lbs. I now my H3 I5 combo will outperform those trucks, and do it with the same tranny.

Quick Reply: New Supercharger for H3 - Wheel to Wheel Powertrain