PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Default Steering Problems

Hey guys, i'm having some steering issues. I've done (several) searches on here, but cant find the signs/symptons that i'm having. Hopefully someone can chime in and help me narrow it down.
I'll try to describe it thew best i can so bare with me.... [:@]
It usually happens when taking off (going straight) from a dead stop. The truck pulls to the left really quick and "hops". < it's the same "hop" you get when you turn a solid axle vehiclein 4 wheel drive.
The other issue i'm having is thetruck won't straighten out on it's own after taking a turn. I have to manually pull the steering wheel back to center.
I just had the idoler(sp?) and pitman arms replaced in November, so i know they're ok. I've seen the posts on the steering shaft problems, but i dont seem to have the symptoms that everyone else was having. the only other things i can think of are a bad steering box, or CV shaft. I havnt had a chance to get under the truck to take a look yet. I was hope that when i do i'd have something to look for.
Any guesses suggestions??!!... []

Old 01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Default RE: Steering Problems

sounds like your passenger side tire doesn't want to go when you hit the gas, you may want to squeeze the 2 CV boot covers on that axle to see if you can feel any chunks in the bottom that shouldn't be there. aside from that, it could be something internal to the front diff, maybe the axle splines are sheared. could be a bent tie rod end as well, but if it was any of these, you should be able to feel it while driving all the time, not just on starts. have you tried cycling your 4 hi and low? maybe something got hung up from your last wheeling trip.

when you're at a dead stop, do you have any slop in the steering wheel (freeplay back and forth)? i had some, and it was the sector shaft on the steering box itself. i had both the box and pitman arm replaced. if you just had your arms replaced, have you tried greasing them? the idler arm is a beeyotch to get to, but with an angled fitting on the grease gun it's doable.

i'd take off the skidplate, and drive it around somewhere quiet and listen for anything out of the ordinary. plus, you'll have a much better view of the diff and components once it's off. check the diff fluid as well while you're under there, and look to see if you've got any leaks at the axle seals. they're notorious for wearing out and leaking if you use it on anything other than pavement.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Hello,I would go straight back to the Garage that did the repairs on your steering....or even call them first......before you take a chance for a crash
sound's like something got loose underthere
my 02

Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Chris,

was the issue present before having the pitman and idler changed?

Have you looked at your alignment? Noticed any noise coming from a CV?

When you "launch" the front of the truck lifts and the TREs tend to pull the front tires to toe-in and I guess you could get a pull from that.

As far as the steering sticking, that's likely the steering gear (box). I have the same issue and am replacing it with one from PSC from trailduty.com

Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM

sounds like your passenger side tire doesn't want to go when you hit the gas, you may want to squeeze the 2 CV boot covers on that axle to see if you can feel any chunks in the bottom that shouldn't be there. aside from that, it could be something internal to the front diff, maybe the axle splines are sheared. could be a bent tie rod end as well, but if it was any of these, you should be able to feel it while driving all the time, not just on starts. have you tried cycling your 4 hi and low? maybe something got hung up from your last wheeling trip.

when you're at a dead stop, do you have any slop in the steering wheel (freeplay back and forth)? i had some, and it was the sector shaft on the steering box itself. i had both the box and pitman arm replaced. if you just had your arms replaced, have you tried greasing them? the idler arm is a beeyotch to get to, but with an angled fitting on the grease gun it's doable.

i'd take off the skidplate, and drive it around somewhere quiet and listen for anything out of the ordinary. plus, you'll have a much better view of the diff and components once it's off. check the diff fluid as well while you're under there, and look to see if you've got any leaks at the axle seals. they're notorious for wearing out and leaking if you use it on anything other than pavement.
No free play in the steering wheel, just the "jerk" when the wheel "hops".Ihave driven around my block a few times to see if i could hear anything unusual, but everything seems fine.I havnt tried cycling the 4wd, thats a good idea, thanks. I hope to get under the truck tonight and look around. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hello,I would go straight back to the Garage that did the repairs on your steering....or even call them first......before you take a chance for a crash
sound's like something got loose underthere
my 02
I'm gonna look and see if it's a repair i can do on my own. if not it's going to the dealer. If i find out it was cause from something the other placed did i'll go from there, but as far as taking it back to that place for anything, its not gonna happen.

Chris,

was the issue present before having the pitman and idler changed?

Have you looked at your alignment? Noticed any noise coming from a CV?

When you "launch" the front of the truck lifts and the TREs tend to pull the front tires to toe-in and I guess you could get a pull from that.

As far as the steering sticking, that's likely the steering gear (box). I have the same issue and am replacing it with one from PSC from trailduty.com
No issues prior to geting the new arms put on. I took it in orginally for an alignment. thats when i found out the arms were bad and had them replaced. I have a feeling that whatever is wrong with the truck now is because of the place that did the work, but have no way to prove it. Yet another reason i do try to do my own repair work.but anyway....
It's more then just "pulling" ( i know what your talking about). it feels more like the wheel is stumbing and tucking under the truck.

thanks guys hopefully i'll have some time to get under there tonight...

Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 AM

Well i broke down and took her to the dealership to get fixed [:@]
Steering(gear)box and left axle were shot.