PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

front marker light grommet

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Default front marker light grommet

Well I had a leak on my drivers floorboard so I decided to check the front marker light on the drivers side and found no grommet. Does anyone know where to purchase them, thanks in advance, or even a part number would be helpful...

Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 AM

The larger corner ones are not available as a separate part - its molded as part of the wiring harness. I cannot see how one would be missing. Maybe pushed through the hole in the roof. On the corner ones people just seal those up with silicone (make sure to seal the inset part of it too). On the corner ones there is also a foam gasket under the lens. That is not critical and will not prevent leaks - that is just to help keep dust and moisture out of the lens.

On the 6 smaller middle roof lights GM has never made or offered the gasket separate from the lights. There are a couple of sellers that make some and sell them on eBay though. Not very cheap.... I custom made my own using 1/4" thick neoprene sheet and 3M VHB tape.

Others try laying down a massively thick gob of silicone and then putting the light back on or just putting silicone all around them. I'm not fond of that idea myself as it makes dealing with them later a major pain.

If you want to try and get some sort of material and roll your own I've attached a pattern to cut them that I made when I redid all 6 of mine. I made a couple of extras so there is 8 shown on the page. I have a sign shop so this was a little easier for me but you could still use this to make your own.

You would need the following.
1/4" thick neoprene foam sheet -
Amazon Amazon

- OPTIONAL - 3M VHB foam tape (at least 1-1/2" wide)
Xacto, good scissors, or some other sort of knife or whatever to cut them out
Some sort of label stock you can print the attached PDF on at exact size (do NOT fit to page or anything, must print at actual size)

The 3M VHB tape is optional. I used that to stick the gaskets to the lights but it did just about make the gasket too thick (I really had to push to get the lights to clip back onto the truck). You could probably skip adhering them to the lights, get the neoprene sheet with the adhesive backing on it, glue them to the lights, etc.
If you are using the VHB tape then go ahead and stick some of that to the neoprene sheet. Print out the sheet with the pattern on some label stock. Cut them out roughly leaving the excess blank white between them. Stick them to the neoprene sheet (making sure you are fully over the VHB tape if you use that too). Cut them out. Peel the label pattern back off. Use them as-is or adhere them to the lights (with the VHB or glue) first and enjoy your now leak free lights.

Of course if you make these like this you will want to carefully scrape all the old dried out useless original gasket off the bottom of the lights first and if the light lens itself is cracked well then a new gasket underneath is really not going to help much.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
H2LightGaskets.pdf (63.1 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by MixManSC; 03-12-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:18 PM

There's replacement foam gaskets on Ebay.

4 Hummer H2 CORNER Roof Marker Replacement Gaskets Seals GASKETS ONLY | eBay

I do agree that making your own would be more economical.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
The larger corner ones are not available as a separate part - its molded as part of the wiring harness. I cannot see how one would be missing. Maybe pushed through the hole in the roof. On the corner ones people just seal those up with silicone (make sure to seal the inset part of it too). On the corner ones there is also a foam gasket under the lens. That is not critical and will not prevent leaks - that is just to help keep dust and moisture out of the lens.

On the 6 smaller middle roof lights GM has never made or offered the gasket separate from the lights. There are a couple of sellers that make some and sell them on eBay though. Not very cheap.... I custom made my own using 1/4" thick neoprene sheet and 3M VHB tape.

Others try laying down a massively thick gob of silicone and then putting the light back on or just putting silicone all around them. I'm not fond of that idea myself as it makes dealing with them later a major pain.

If you want to try and get some sort of material and roll your own I've attached a pattern to cut them that I made when I redid all 6 of mine. I made a couple of extras so there is 8 shown on the page. I have a sign shop so this was a little easier for me but you could still use this to make your own.

You would need the following.
1/4" thick neoprene foam sheet - https://www.amazon.com/Sponge-Neopre.../dp/B01GWD5WOW

- OPTIONAL - 3M VHB foam tape (at least 1-1/2" wide)
Xacto, good scissors, or some other sort of knife or whatever to cut them out
Some sort of label stock you can print the attached PDF on at exact size (do NOT fit to page or anything, must print at actual size)

The 3M VHB tape is optional. I used that to stick the gaskets to the lights but it did just about make the gasket too thick (I really had to push to get the lights to clip back onto the truck). You could probably skip adhering them to the lights, get the neoprene sheet with the adhesive backing on it, glue them to the lights, etc.
If you are using the VHB tape then go ahead and stick some of that to the neoprene sheet. Print out the sheet with the pattern on some label stock. Cut them out roughly leaving the excess blank white between them. Stick them to the neoprene sheet (making sure you are fully over the VHB tape if you use that too). Cut them out. Peel the label pattern back off. Use them as-is or adhere them to the lights (with the VHB or glue) first and enjoy your now leak free lights.

Of course if you make these like this you will want to carefully scrape all the old dried out useless original gasket off the bottom of the lights first and if the light lens itself is cracked well then a new gasket underneath is really not going to help much.
You were right on the grommet it was there just pushed down under the opening, I will defiantly try your gasket repair as soon as the weather gets better here.