PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Flowmaster upgrade on my Hummer H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Default Flowmaster upgrade on my Hummer H3

Hey all, I just wanted to share with you my recent exhaust upgrade on my 2007 Hummer H3 (3.7 5-cylinder).

I was unhappy with the stock HP of the H3 with poor take-off and acceleration, so I looked into ways of increasing HP with minimal costs. First, I upgraded the stock air filter with a K&N brand ($50) from my local AutoZone. I did not get any noticeable gains from the new ait filter. Next, I added a Tuner GT+ chip ($10 on eBay) to the MAF sensor. I noticed a slight increase in acceleration from the chip, but I did not notice any improvement in gas mileage from the chip. I still was not satified.

After doing some extensive research on exhaust systems, I decided to purchase a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler ($90 on eBay) for my H3. I brought it to my local Big Al's Muffler Shop and paid $150 out-the-door for labor and parts. I had them cutt off the resonator, and put the Flowmaster in its place. I had purchased a muffler with an offset, same-side inlet/outlet configuration so it would clear the drivetrain okay. I had the stock "suitcase" muffler completely cut-out and removed, and re-routed the tailpipe to exit strait out the back on the passenger side. The tailpipe points down slightly to direct exhaust downward.

I noticed a definite HP increase with the new hi-flow muffler and strait pipe design. It had a nice rumble at idle and a mean growl on acceleration. I estimate an improvement in gas mileage by 1-2 mpg depending on my driving. I may have lost some low-end torque due to the decreased back-pressure, but it is a trade-off for the increased HP and improved gas mileage.

I had one issue that almost ruined the exhaust upgarde for me: I had a horrible exhaust drone at about 2000 rpm, which is my typical cruising rpm on the highway (60 - 70 mph). It was an unpleasant hum from my exhaust that eveloped the entire cabin of my H3, and it was unbearable for me on extensive roadtrips. I thought maybe I could live with it and find ways to drive around the drone; but since I normally drive around 60 - 70 mph, it was pretty much unavoidable. Or, I thought maybe there would be a break-in period for the muffler to mellow out. But a metal, chambered muffler has no real break-in period. Some posts say that a gradual build-up of carbon in the muffler with mellow the sound in time, but I'm not sure if that is true.

Solution: I bought an inexpensive, bolt-on, chrome resonating exhaust tip from Wal-mart ($12). It is about a foot long from end-to-end. I attached it to the end of my tailpipe and the DRONE IS GONE!! It also gave me a richer, deeper idle sound. And, now it purrs at acceleration instead of an obnoxious growl. It sticks out about 3" past my bumper, and looks nicer than the plain tailpipe. I couldn't be more happy.

I believe it was a worthwhile upgrade for a relatively low cost.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM

do you have any pics? also, how much improvement have you noticed on mpg?

Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM

I'm getting about 25 more miles on a full tank of gas with mixed city and highway driving. I have yet to take it on a road trip to see how far I can get on all highway driving, but I imagine I may be able to squeeze out another 25 miles. The engine definitely seems to be under a lot less strain, and it rides ultra smooth at high speeds (over 75 mph). And, I have to lighten up on the gas pedal a bit because it's easy to speed without realizing it. My engine seems much more responsive, and she takes off the line pretty quickly now.