Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Snow Chains

Old 10-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Default Snow Chains

Does anyone have snow chains for their H3T?

Any recommendations on brand or type that work best?

Last year while off roading up north I got stuck way to easy. The combination of snow and ice just left me stuck if I got off the snowmobile groomed trails and into just 1 foot deep snow I ended up just spinning my tires.

I am hoping to change that this winter and hope snow chains will allow me to go explore more.

I have found the following that will fit and can be put on without requiring you to back up over them in case you are already stuck but I worry about the plastic looking parts.

Amazon.com: Peerless 0232805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Chain - Set of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: Peerless 0232805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Chain - Set of 2: Automotive

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 10-29-2015, 10:05 AM

An H3T we went winter wheeling ( foot of snow plus with ice underneath) with this year had a very nice set from tirechains.com

They installed easily and provided good traction. He had A/T tires on at the time. None of us with M/Ts had major issues.

A winch and/or hi lift Jack will help also.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 AM

I don't like chains. You can get major damage if a link breaks.

You don't say what type of tires you are running now but If you intend on doing more offroading, both winter and summer, you should invest in a good set of MT type tires or at least aggressive AT's.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Lol. There are many types of product available for the winter driver. Chain is but one!
Albeit in all the years living in Wisconsin (where we get clobbered with snow and brutal cold) ive yet to use them. I will if absolutely necessary though....

I found that a really good set of Super Swamper with at home siping work pretty killer for most situations. If that is not going to work id recommend a product made specifically for winter driving and the Europeans do that awesome.

Last edited by Happy Hummer; 11-02-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:30 PM

There are lots of non chain solutions to strap on. Many use bands. Do a google search...

Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

No need for chains, just get better tires.

A family member has a cabin 2 miles off the black top in Northern MI. I've been through powder so deep, easily 3 feet, that the snow started pushing up on top of the hood. Had to stop, back up and clear it off to see where I was going. Mickey Thompson MTZs 305s and a wee bit of momentum. His F250 with street truck tires could not get out of its own way, had to follow me and get a tug or two to get in.

Then again, I do not run snowmobile trails, that would get you a ticket here in MI for tearing up marked trails. They do not like ruts on the trails.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Default Snow Chains

Well, depending on the situation (type of vehicle traveling, type of snow conditions) you can use different types of chains for your tires. There are typically 2 types; steel or nylon. Steel chains are aggressive or industrial type used by trucks and buses or other large vehicles, while nylon is used for smaller cars, RVs etc.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shahzaib21
Well, depending on the situation (type of vehicle traveling, type of snow conditions) you can use different types of chains for your tires. There are typically 2 types; steel or nylon. Steel chains are aggressive or industrial type used by trucks and buses or other large vehicles, while nylon is used for smaller cars, RVs etc.