PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

water pooling in passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Default water pooling in passenger floorboard

i have a 09 h3 and i recently noticed that after rain the front passenger floorboard has a small puddle of water. took it to the dealership and they claimed it was the windshield being replaced wrong. so then i took it to the glass shop and they spent an hour testing it and claim that the windshield is not leaking (got two different shops to look at it, both agreed not windshield). i know the sunroof is a major leak source but im almost positive it isn't from that. it was suggested i may have a bad body seal, but i have to get it back to the dealer to find out.

have any of you dealt with this? please let me know it is driving me nuts and the car only has 10000 miles on it.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:56 AM

this happened to me in my pontiac grand am, it turned out it was the seal around the passenger door

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM

I had the same problem just a month ago. A small puddle of water would form on my passenger floor after a hard rain or if I used an automatic car wash. I took my 08 H3 to the dealer and they blew out the front sunroof drains. Haven't had a leak since. I was surprised I had this problem at 20k miles. I previously had a Trailblazer that I put 100k miles on and never had a single leak from the sunroof.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM

turns out the windshield had a spot at the bottom that wasn't siliconed very well. i got it fixed but now i am preparing myself for what appears to be an inevitable sunroof leak. my truck is garaged so i hope mine doesn't leak for some time. has anyone figured out how to prevent the sunroof leak from happening?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by trevortcaruso
turns out the windshield had a spot at the bottom that wasn't siliconed very well. i got it fixed but now i am preparing myself for what appears to be an inevitable sunroof leak. my truck is garaged so i hope mine doesn't leak for some time. has anyone figured out how to prevent the sunroof leak from happening?
It's no big deal. Don't lose sleep over it. Many people have never had a single problem. Then there are some who end up have a small sunroof leak... myself included.
Before it gets to the point where they are completly clogged, you can blow some air through them with a gun but be mindful you don't use too much pressure or you'll blow the drain tubes out into the headliner. Usually this can be done after you go off roading and have mud and muck all over the roof of the car.
Mine were to the point where they wouldn't blow free. I was still under warranty so the dealer replaced them with oversized drain tubes and haven't had a problem since. The mechanic was saying something to the effect that trucks newer than mine were getting built with the bigger hoses since it was a pretty big problem that was brought to the attention of GM. I say that with the caveat that it may just be speculation. I was thinking maybe he was just trying to appease me so I don't know how true that is.
If it wasn't under warranty, it seemed easy enough to do myself in an afternoon.. or less. Pop the front headliner down a wee bit, undo the old hoses, put in the new hoses, button everything back up.
But like I said, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If you have to do it, it's not a major deal... as long as it's not raining outside, unless you have a garage in which case that wouldn't matter. But who knows, you'll prolly never have a problem either.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Trevortcaruso-

Out of curiosity, when your H3 was leaking water onto the passenger floorboard, did the water seem to be dripping from under the glove compartment, near the firewall? Unfortunately, mine seems to be leaking again and I dont think it is the sunroof, as I recently had those drains blown out. I am wondering if my windshield is the problem. Sometimes I hear a lot of wind noise from that side of the vehicle when traveling down the highway. Did you have your windshield replaced prior to the leak?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cube
Trevortcaruso-

Out of curiosity, when your H3 was leaking water onto the passenger floorboard, did the water seem to be dripping from under the glove compartment, near the firewall? Unfortunately, mine seems to be leaking again and I dont think it is the sunroof, as I recently had those drains blown out. I am wondering if my windshield is the problem. Sometimes I hear a lot of wind noise from that side of the vehicle when traveling down the highway. Did you have your windshield replaced prior to the leak?
My 10 Alpha is doing the same thing after a very hard rain. Not a puddle, just a few drips make it to the floor mat. It is not the sunroof drains. The dealer checked that. They are replacing a headlight for condensation and are going to keep it a day or two to track down the leak when the headlight comes in. The head mechanic says by the time you track the leak down, fix and then test, it can take a couple of days. I don't mind too much. The last time they gave me a new DTS to drive.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JCA1981
It's no big deal. Don't lose sleep over it. Many people have never had a single problem. Then there are some who end up have a small sunroof leak... myself included.
Before it gets to the point where they are completly clogged, you can blow some air through them with a gun but be mindful you don't use too much pressure or you'll blow the drain tubes out into the headliner. Usually this can be done after you go off roading and have mud and muck all over the roof of the car.
Mine were to the point where they wouldn't blow free. I was still under warranty so the dealer replaced them with oversized drain tubes and haven't had a problem since. The mechanic was saying something to the effect that trucks newer than mine were getting built with the bigger hoses since it was a pretty big problem that was brought to the attention of GM. I say that with the caveat that it may just be speculation. I was thinking maybe he was just trying to appease me so I don't know how true that is.
If it wasn't under warranty, it seemed easy enough to do myself in an afternoon.. or less. Pop the front headliner down a wee bit, undo the old hoses, put in the new hoses, button everything back up.
But like I said, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If you have to do it, it's not a major deal... as long as it's not raining outside, unless you have a garage in which case that wouldn't matter. But who knows, you'll prolly never have a problem either.
Yep just pour some water in the two holes and use a compressor to blow some air threw the two holes on either side and you should see waters or leaves blow out the bottom, in front of the driver and front passenger doors.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Default H3 water Leak

In the past thread they talk about unclogging the drain tubes from the sunroof. I've gone through most of the steps discussed in the thread. Blown air down, ran a piece of weed-eater line through. I believe I've gotten the clog out because I now have water in the floor board and not coming out of my on-star speaker.
How do you remove the headliner and trim so that I can reconnect the tubing. Also does the tubing go down the "A post" if so how do I keep from setting off the airbag on the a-post.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by cuzzndon
In the past thread they talk about unclogging the drain tubes from the sunroof. I've gone through most of the steps discussed in the thread. Blown air down, ran a piece of weed-eater line through. I believe I've gotten the clog out because I now have water in the floor board and not coming out of my on-star speaker.
How do you remove the headliner and trim so that I can reconnect the tubing. Also does the tubing go down the "A post" if so how do I keep from setting off the airbag on the a-post.
Unscrew the sun visors and let them hang. Peel back the rubber trim molding around the sunroof opening (it's not glued, just press fit). Pop the little cover off each 'A' pillar that says 'Air Bag', using a small flat blade screwdriver. Remove the screw under it, and wiggle out the trim piece. You'll then be able to gently pull down the front portion of the headliner. Don't worry, you can't set off the airbags by bumping or disturbing them. They need an electrical signal to fire the pyrotechnics.

Quick Reply: water pooling in passenger floorboard