PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Vent Cover Removal - How?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Default Vent Cover Removal - How?

Any help on how to remove the vent covers. There is a bunch of leaves up in there that I am trying to get out. I have pulled the sides out a bit and it feels like I am on the right path to get them off but just can't - afraid of too much force. Thanks in advance.

New 06 Hummer Owner!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Vent Cover Removal - How?

With both hands grab a firm grip and pull straight up. Make take some force.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 PM

yep, just grab hold and pull straight up. I've had mine off alot, I usually open the hood first althought I don't know if that makes a difference.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 AM

Isn't one of those vents fake? I think the driver's side is functional?

Opps..I think you are talking about the vent cover at the base of the windshield and not the vent pods located at the rear of the hood?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 AM

If you are in fact talking about removing the cowl below the windshield, STOP NOW.......

Go visit this thread and review the pics: https://www.hummerforums.com/m_77675/tm.htm

Look towards the middle of the pics and you will see where they had to use a special tool to pop the center
fasteners loose. Without that, or something similar, you run the risk of breaking the cowl....3 bills I was quoted.
These guys learned the hard way...and paid for it....

At least from the pics, you will be able to see where all the attach points are for the cowl and breather covers....

Hope it helps.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM

Yes and No Vader...
They are not "real" vents like the HUMVEEs but they do let a little air into the right side fender well and that's where the intake air comes from. I would imagine that the air being pulled into the right fender well is coming from several places and that vent is one of many holes letting air in. All in all they're mostly cosmetic and like the hood louvers they only have a real function on H1's and HUMVEEs.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

If you are in fact talking about removing the cowl below the windshield, STOP NOW.......

Go visit this thread and review the pics: https://www.hummerforums.com/m_77675/tm.htm

Look towards the middle of the pics and you will see where they had to use a special tool to pop the center
fasteners loose. Without that, or something similar, you run the risk of breaking the cowl....3 bills I was quoted.
These guys learned the hard way...and paid for it....

At least from the pics, you will be able to see where all the attach points are for the cowl and breather covers....

Hope it helps.
WOW..NOT ADIY IS IT!
Good info gunner!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Vents vs Cowl...............Saturday Night...............ringside seats available. Who shall be da winna.

So, are we talking the cowl or the vents????

Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 AM

I just can't see how leaves would get inside the fake breather covers and if they did...would you even see them?

For the record: Even though they are not a bit functional, I think the H3 would look pretty nekkid without the vent /breather covers
or hood louvers. I sort of view them as a simple styling queue and/or omage(sp) to the H1 and H2. Same goes for the hood handles.....

Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

The covers I am talking about are the small square ones near the windshield at the corners of the hood - not the cowl vent under and around the wipers. I am not sure of how the leaves got there; I just see a bunch of leaves up around the hood hinges and it looks like they may be under those covers too - I just want to pop them off and take a look. Also, there are a lot of leaves in the front door jam in the wheel well - maybe these accumulated there and blew up into the vent cover area - not sure. I just want to get it all cleaned up to prevent water entrapment.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vent Cover Removal - How?