PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tranny Cooler Lines

Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Default Tranny Cooler Lines

While driving home my H3 thought it would a good idea to spew all the transmission fluid out. I believe the truck went into the limp home mode...didn't feel like it left second gear. Ordered new lines but didn't see any o rings in the kit. Anybody know what size o-rings I would need? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ODIMUS
While driving home my H3 thought it would a good idea to spew all the transmission fluid out. I believe the truck went into the limp home mode...didn't feel like it left second gear. Ordered new lines but didn't see any o rings in the kit. Anybody know what size o-rings I would need? Thanks!
Are you talking about the ends that go into the radiator? The seal for each is molded into and part of the radiator, do not mess with the trans cooler fittings in the radiator other than to remove the clips that retain the current lines.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:18 PM

I haven't taken them off yet...parts came in last night...thought I read about an o ring failure causing them to leak at the radiator...when i got the truck home I looked at the lines and could tell that's where all the fluid dumped out. The black retainer clips were not over the spring clips...I re-drove my route and saw the puddle of hydraulic fluid. I left the truck running while getting movies at a redbox...the swapping of lines looked pretty straight forward and then add fluid back...am I missing anything before I start this on the weekend? Thanks

Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Mines at the dealer right now because of this, lines rusted thru due to the plastic anti rattle clip, i replaced the lines myself, but one plastic clip never felt right. I think my issue is the lower line is just a hair to long where it goes in the trans and doesnt seat right. Ive had it blow off twice now

Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 AM

just finished replacing the nuts on the cooler last night...so far no leaks...i think it was a combo of broken rings and the o-rings in the nuts were worn flat...didn't bother changing the lines out...the only leaks were coming from the front..

Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM

I need to replace the tranny cooler lines on my 2007 H3. I have the new lines but I need to know if I need any other parts needed to install them. The nearest parts house is over 63 miles away so I need to have any and all parts before I begin. My current ones are not leaking at the radiator so it's not the o ring. Just my luck, couldn't be that lucky.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 PM

if all these trannies that lost all that fluid are still working, someone tell me why i cant run for 30-60 seconds with a line off when doing a fluid change and dump all the dirty stuff???, then fill with nice clean stuff?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jayhawk714
I need to replace the tranny cooler lines on my 2007 H3. I have the new lines but I need to know if I need any other parts needed to install them. The nearest parts house is over 63 miles away so I need to have any and all parts before I begin. My current ones are not leaking at the radiator so it's not the o ring. Just my luck, couldn't be that lucky.
I think you should be good, all you need is the clips [#s 3 & 10] that are currently holding the lines in place at, so unless you break one (not likely) should be good. However, ........ if your leak is at the radiator end, there are O rings [#4] that are in behind the connector nut that if bad, can result in a leak??

Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

Thanks Doc!! The picture is a real plus. One line is leaking between #5 and #6. Like I said there was no way I was going to be lucky enough to have just a bad O ring on the radiator.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:07 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by happythree
if all these trannies that lost all that fluid are still working, someone tell me why i cant run for 30-60 seconds with a line off when doing a fluid change and dump all the dirty stuff???, then fill with nice clean stuff?
I agree with ya. Run it until the fluid starts to sputter (will happen quick enough) and shut off. We're not talking about running it all day while empty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler Lines