PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Default Trailer Brake Controller

Anyone know what's needed for a trailer brake controller? I've heard mixed things, wondering if any members has done it. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:16 PM

I haven't done it yet, but will shortly; I have a controller I use on my MH for pulling an enclosed ATV trailer. I'm going to wire the H3 up so that I can use the same controller in it if needed.

The wiring is already under the H3 dash for a brake controller, taped up on the right side of the steering column (just below the left side of the radio), and running to the back if you have a factory hitch. Even if not, they're easy to install/wire. One hot wire (from battery), one ground, one wire from the brakelight switch, and finally one wire going to the trailer plug in the back. Any brake controller that you purchase will have wiring instructions/diagrams.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 07-29-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
I haven't done it yet, but will shortly; I have a controller I use on my MH for pulling an enclosed ATV trailer. I'm going to wire the H3 up so that I can use the same controller in it if needed.

The wiring is already under the H3 dash for a brake controller, taped up on the right side of the steering column (just below the left side of the radio), and running to the back if you have a factory hitch. Even if not, they're easy to install/wire. One hot wire (from battery), one ground, one wire from the brakelight switch, and finally one wire going to the trailer plug in the back. Any brake controller that you purchase will have wiring instructions/diagrams.
Happen to know what color those wires are? I don't see anything next to column, but I do have a bundle next to parking brake.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:45 PM

The ones by the parking brake are different; they are for the addition of factory off-road lights and go through the firewall to the area near the battery/fusebox (white, orange, green, brown). The trailer brake wiring , if I remember, are blue, brown, light blue, & red? They should be to the right of the steering; closer to the radio than the steering column. If your H3 has a factory trailer plug, they SHOULD be there. If your truck doesn't have the trailer plug, then you will likely need to run new wiring. Again, any brake controller will have wiring instructions; it's pretty easy. My wife's Tahoe was pre-wired; plug & play, but my motorhome wasn't at all; I had to completely install all wiring for trailer brakes. The only hard part was simply running the brake power wire the entire length from the controller in the cab to the plug at the rear.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 09-09-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 AM

Finally found mine, they were actually under the stereo, I just happen to look that far over and notice the wire tag for 'trailer brakes'.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...image.jpg1.jpg

Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk

I have the factory wiring up front, but am unable to find them in the rear. I don't have a tow package. So I'm guessing they're not ran to the rear? I find it strange I have them up front, but they're not ran all the way back. Do you happen to remember if they switched wire colors when they came out in the rear?

Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Cool

How much are you all towing that a brake controller is needed? I tow about 4100lbs with my 2007 H3 and everything is just fine. Towing capacity is 4500lbs. I guess if your trailer does have electric brakes it's probably worth it to use them.