Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

traction failed/stab failure/abs light all at once

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Unhappy traction failed/stab failure/abs light all at once

Hey guys. I thought i had a bearing going before. So i went Christmas shopping anyway cuz i had to. I went about eighty miles or so and on my way home the abs light came on and got a stab failure and traction failed as well. All at Tue same time. I don't know what it means either. I stopped to wait for the ferry as i live on an island and when i started to go on after putting it in gear and moving it made a.popping or clunking noise in the front end. So i limped it home and it made the noise off and on and i have not moved it since. I just got my hunner sleeve to put on and planned on doing bearings and it looks or sounds like something else.
Any ideas guys?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 PM

If it was still moving and steering while making the noise I would think transfer case, but could also be your front diff... Hard to say being on the other end of a computer screen. Where does the sound originate from?

Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 AM

The noise sounded like maybe the t-case. It seemed sorta in the center near to where the rack is. And the sound almost sounded like a huge spring twanging like something was holding it them let go with the ping or gonging like noise.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM

the famous plastic fork?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Ok hang on here...lol!
One thing at a time.

You were driving and the "service stabiltrac" came on?
You were driving and "abs" lit up?
You were driving and "traction" failed?

Then as a seperate issue the noise began too?
Chris

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM

What drew you to deduce a bearing was failing?
Chris

Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Yes i was diving when the stab, trac , and abs happened. And yes after it was stopped for about fifteen minutes started and heard he noise i described.
The bearing issue was assumed before because i heard a whirring noise and a squeeling noise especially noticeable at very low speeds. At about 60-80 mph a slight vibration. I assumed it was bearings. Front right and back rear were noisy. Also the front right tire has been wearing the tread blocks rounded on edges instead of wearing flatter like usual.
I haven't really looked at the plastic fork thing. Mine is an 06 lux didn't know which ones had it or symptoms either.
Any help would be appreciated cuz all those at once was a little overwhelming. And i thought bad front bearing would set off abs as well. A code reader should tell me something hopefully too.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Bebe had replied to posting i put up about "serv stabiltrac" stating a bad unit bearing could cause the symptoms described. You may want to check each of the front unit bearings 1st.

Chris

Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM

when my abs lite came on the traction stabalizer comes on to, It was my brakes. if you drive long enough the back brakes will lock up on ya. I used to hold the traction button in on the dash for the symbol to come on,then it was ok to drive till i got it fixed...

Old 12-25-2012, 06:53 PM

Ok the unit bearings? Do you mean the front wheel bearings? Like unit being where it is the whole hub piece kinda? And it shouldn't be my brakes. I just put all new rotors and pads on about three or four months ago. And that wouldn't explain my hoping clunking and going noises coming from handy to t case or the rack.

Quick Reply: traction failed/stab failure/abs light all at once