PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS and cold temps

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Default TPMS and cold temps

Hi all, I've seen some posts on here about the problems inherent with GM's TPMS when the temperature tanks and thought I'd comment.
Let science class begin:
Ambient air is a mixture of several gasses and water vapor and when it's heated it expands and when it cools it loses volume or shrinks. Thus the old addage, only air your tires when cold and not after you've been out driving.

The cure you ask? Nitrogen! Nitrogen is an inert gas and not subject to the effects of heat and cold. I'm also pretty sure that Nitrogen will not leak down under normal conditions and only needs topped off if you have an external leak.

Just my two cents. I thought it was a good idea for those of you who live where it's not 82 degrees right now :-)

Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Default RE: TPMS and cold temps

We thought Nitrogen was a good idea too! It didn't work for our TPMS issue and continued to have problems once Nitrogen was pumped in. Also, there's only certain places that have nitrogen machines available to replace the depleted air. I also came across a bulletin by GM that shows "the use and effects of nitrogen have proven to be minimal". It really boils down to GM having a crappy TPMS and sensor. At least in our case, it was setting itself off whether it was 110 degrees or 50 degrees w/ normal air or nitrogen. go figure.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Another downside to nitrogen is that if you do much off roading you are constantly reducing tire pressure off road for better traction. Then when you air up to go home again you have to use air. Theoretically notrogen sounds like a solution but for a lot of us it isn't too practical.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 AM

I have used Nitrogen for past year with no problems:

http://www.nitrofill.com/

Airing down when off roading is the only drawback, but I plan to mount a 1 Gallon air tank and fill it with Nitrogen to top off for the ride home. Prior to switching to Nitrogen I would get TPMS alarms avery so often. Never have had one since switching to Nitrogen.

Also the nearest Nitrofill place is the Jeep dealer down the road from me. Fun to go in there and have everyone come out to check out my H3.

and yes, this is my first post here although I read this forum daily

Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Maachaill: Whaaazz up.

Never used nitrogen, but when I set all four tires to exactly 38 psi, no TPM issues. Just did a rotation yesterday, before this friggin blizzard hit [:@], and had to re-match/set the ID code, put them all back to 38psi cold. Them 33s are pretty heavy.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 AM

I have been seeing lot's of TPM problems as of late (Its's getting cold in the northeast). It is mostly due to change in temp. For every 10 degree drop in temp. the tire presssure drops 1#. Most every car/truck that comes for a check tire pressure light has low or hightire pressure. There are also trouble codes in the h3 for tire pressure problems and if the tire pressures are good there might be a tpm problem. But before go running to the dealer save yourself some time and check the tire pressures first. Steve

Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

doc olds is right and H3x are right. Everytime the TPMS warning light has come on I've needed to add air and that has solved the problem. I haven't had a "sensor" problem yet.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM

warning light has gone away everytime after a few minutes of driving