PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) monitor - What a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) monitor - What a PITA

I suppose before I go outside and do this wonderful calibration circus act that there is NO way to disable this system, is there? When I rotated the tires yesterday and put the spare into the mix, I completely forgot about this system.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) monitor - What a PITA

The manual tells you how to reset it. BUT, I don't think that the 06's have the TPM in the spare. (I might be wrong in this) You could always just turn it off everytime that you start the truck, (PITA, IMO) Maybe figure out what all the fuse works that handles it and remove it if you can, OR go on ebay and buy another TPM and then have it installed that way you are good next time. IDK for sure. Sorry

Last resort, run down to the tire store and have them switch it for you.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Anybody ever see what happens if you were to take out the sensors and just glue them to the reciever or even just put them inside someplace so its getting a signal? I remember reading that a 0psi reading wont actually throw an error?
I'm getting the SERV TPS message since ive got new rims sans tpms stems so I'll figure out a way to disable it and let you know.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, the '06s do have the TPS in the spare. It's everything after '06 that doesn't, at least that's what the service guys told me.

It must, because when recalibrating, it detects the pressure change.

I just did it. The problem is after you do all 4 wheels, the TPS light goes out. In the manual, it says "If the TPS light remains blinking, turn the ignition to Locked" but it doesn't tell you what to do if the TPS light automatically turns off.

I did it three times. Once I turned the ignition off, which you are only supposed to do if the light remains blinking, and it didn't work. I started the truck after it was done, and that didn't work. I did it a third time and turned the headlights off, and that I'm not sure of. With each of the three events, the SERV TPS message was still on, not to be confused with the TPS light which is that flat tire looking LED that blinks at you.

It beeped after every inflate/deflate so I know it picked up all 4 tires, but apparently the manual decided to leave out the part of what you do after it's done [:@]My TPS LED stops blinking after all 4 tires are calibrated, but when you start the truck, the SERV TPS message is still there.

I know I'm repeating myself, but it's aggrivating. Maybe you just have to drive it for the warning to go off after you calibrate it? I dunno. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it turns off.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't you have the TPS issue before?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe so. I never rotated my tires with the spare.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy
Actually, the '06s do have the TPS in the spare. It's everything after '06 that doesn't, at least that's what the service guys told me.
OK, now I have to go look. I know there is one in my spare (07)?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:09 PM

HG is right, the 06 has the TPS in the spare

Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 AM

Shouldn't they all have the sensor in the spare? What good is the system if all of your tires don't have it? Or are you not supposed to use the spare in your tire rotation? Stupid *** system anyway. Pretty useless and worthless. [:@]

Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 AM

My 07 has the sensor in the spare. It wasn't until 08 that they did away with the sensor in the spare tire.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) monitor - What a PITA