PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Time for a new stereo? / electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Default Time for a new stereo? / electrical problem

so long story short... i had a leak in my windshield, water got in to the onstar controls on the rear view mirror, my speakers would pop until the water dried out, and now whenever i have the H3 turned off, the speakers make a tiny constant hissing sound. now whenever i dont turn the H3 on for about 24 hours, the battery is dead because of the hissing sound.

SO..... time for an aftermarket stereo? i'm happy with the stock one right now, so i wouldnt mind any suggestions on how i could stop the sound so my battery wont die.

Thanks in advance!

oh and if it's any help.... 06 lux w/monsoon

Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Default Monsoon w/GPS Blank Screen - Wavy Lines

07 H3 Monsoon w/GPS unit had to be replaced due to blank screen and sometimes wavy lines ... also had BCM (body control module) changed out because the truck wouldn't start, nothing but intermittent turning over but no start ... really weird stuff man ... then the 2nd Monsoon unit started acting up so I went through the electrical system piece by piece and found a hairline crack in the positive battery clamp (a real cheaply made piece of crap) ... that was the real problem ... an intermittently loose connection causing havoc with the sensitive electronic chips ... soooooo ... I changed out both battery terminal clamps to a nice set of gold-plated compression-fit battery terminals, put in a new red-top Optima battery while I was in there and all my electrical problems disappeared instantly. Get rid of those cheap battery clamps and put a real set of battery terminals in your H3!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 AM

Just my two cents I dont know how the monsoon system is wired but if there is a remote wire on the stereo it seems like its not detecting the car is off so it will turn the amp off. If the amp is staying on due to the wire or a issue in the head unit it would explain why the speakers stay on and battery is dying.This is just my guess based on how aftermarket stereos turn off amps.