Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Sway Away!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Default Sway Away!

Sway Away
I've been looking for a new bumper, ARB or Tough Country or the others still out there. The thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on even the lighter ARB (Tough's is ~250lbs) are reports on this and all other forumns of people noting, sagging, front end dive and worse handling. Usually this is then followed up by those saying get beefier bars; then thats followed up by well sorry Sway Away is actually the only upgrade as Old Man Emu arent designed for Alphas or Ts AND they stopped making them.

My point to all this is, theres alot of people wanting to upgrade their front end and plenty that already have and want better traction/handling and we H3 owners havnt decided to bug Sway Away with a group buy!?

So I spoke with a Sway Away rep and he said the H3 sway aways are not that big of a difference from the ones for the H2s or 2500HDs and that he'll give me a call back about what can be done.

So Im hoping we can draw a lot of phone calls to Sway Away (818-700-9712) to get them to start making them again!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

All the H3/Ts can use the same T Bars, the Alpha bars just have a slightly higher spring rate because of the extra 100# of motor. Everything forward of the back of the front doors is interchangeable between the H3 and H3Ts.

I've had the BA bumper for years, no issues, no concerns?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 AM

I have a 2007 H3 with a ThorParts bumper and a Predator S&R Brushguard along with a winch. That's a lot of weight. I just adjusted my torsion bars to bring up to level, added 1/2" extended bumpstops and better shocks. NO problems with nosedive, steering or handling. It's been 4 years, no issues.

Name:  IMG_20131213_082241_544_zpsd996c68f.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  52.1 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 09-16-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:40 AM

Im not sure why you guys posted your hapiness with stock springs as Im asking people to get together to nag Sway Away since there is sizeable demand...
I didnt ask if people were happy with stock springs since there are many many posts spread throughout this site's and other forums saying they are not...

Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

I am not aware of anyone, other than you perhaps, that thinks the stock T Bars can't handle a winch bumper?????

You add a winch with bumper, adjust the T Bars, get an alignment and you are good to go.

That's all I was saying.

However, I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Sheet) so I will await the masses that may post in this thread telling us they have searched high and low for the much wanted aftermarket T Bar set for the H3/T and that they want to throw cabbage at obtaining same.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM

I understand the reasons for just crankin the stock t bar; though I live in NYC, where an H3T is considered a large 'car' and offroad is softer than on.

So I do a lot of city driving; im probably the most experienced H3 driver in the whole city too -and its not easy maneuvering a nearly stock truck in these old streets. -With just my wife in the truck and our son, theres excessive (in my opinion) front end dive when pedestrian dodging.

For the record Im looking to pickup the Light Racing Jounce Shocks to help the suspension become more progressive. -stoping to avoid opening doors from parallel parked cars and dumb jay walking $&@! will make occupants upset because of how linear the h3t handles then the slam at bottoming out and its just too much in my opinion -it feels like im coming down a wave in a boat.

I also change my wheels in the winter to oem 18s with 32.5 tall dura tracs -and driving on the FDR at 45-50 and hitting the potholes slams the front end down so hard that I actually rub on the e&g fender flares and then i get the recoil of the unsprung mass. -i scare the car drivers on the road

So theres my reasoning for stiffer t bars on a stock front end, well i have a goofy ss brush guard that broke from others raming into to the truck to get into street parallel parking spots. (I did manage to tack it back together with my TIG...)
And thats why I want a full steel bumper...but an extra 115lbs is gonna make handling worse, especially if I crank the T bars.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:01 PM

What size tires are you running in that pic Bunger? I'm looking to upgrade my stock 265's to the 285's. Just curious how much taller they are.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by zefrum
I understand the reasons for just crankin the stock t bar; though I live in NYC, where an H3T is considered a large 'car' and offroad is softer than on.

So I do a lot of city driving; im probably the most experienced H3 driver in the whole city too -and its not easy maneuvering a nearly stock truck in these old streets. -With just my wife in the truck and our son, theres excessive (in my opinion) front end dive when pedestrian dodging.

For the record Im looking to pickup the Light Racing Jounce Shocks to help the suspension become more progressive. -stoping to avoid opening doors from parallel parked cars and dumb jay walking $&@! will make occupants upset because of how linear the h3t handles then the slam at bottoming out and its just too much in my opinion -it feels like im coming down a wave in a boat.

I also change my wheels in the winter to oem 18s with 32.5 tall dura tracs -and driving on the FDR at 45-50 and hitting the potholes slams the front end down so hard that I actually rub on the e&g fender flares and then i get the recoil of the unsprung mass. -i scare the car drivers on the road

So theres my reasoning for stiffer t bars on a stock front end, well i have a goofy ss brush guard that broke from others raming into to the truck to get into street parallel parking spots. (I did manage to tack it back together with my TIG...)
And thats why I want a full steel bumper...but an extra 115lbs is gonna make handling worse, especially if I crank the T bars.

How about buying the trail duty extended bump stops?? that will help with the nose diving. I don't see heavier t bars helping that issue much knowing how the front suspension is deisgned.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by skeeter
How about buying the trail duty extended bump stops?? that will help with the nose diving. I don't see heavier t bars helping that issue much knowing how the front suspension is deisgned.

I'd like beefier T bars; Im also picking up Light Racing jounce shocks to replace the bump stops...

But this thread is to drum up support for Sway Away t bars guys!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mac77fox
What size tires are you running in that pic Bunger? I'm looking to upgrade my stock 265's to the 285's. Just curious how much taller they are.
I am running 315/75/16.

265/75/16 are 32" diameter
285/75/16 are 33" diameter
305/70/16 are 33" diameter but about an inch wider than 285
315/75/16 are 35" diameter

All above tire sizes will fit on an H3 without ANY modification.

Quick Reply: Sway Away!