PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire removal in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Default Spare tire removal in winter?

Hey, folks, I've seen a few posts on here regarding complete removal of the spare wheel and bracket, leaving only the louver remaining. I was interested in doing this on my H3 but having removed the wheel I noticed that the louver has light rubber flaps which presumably allow air pressure out of the cabin when the doors are closed. My concern is that in wintry conditions the wind will blow snow back through the flaps in the louver which will then simply settle within the rear hatch and ultimately melt, causing corrosion inside. Has anyone had experience with this or have any advice to offer? I think I like the clean look a spare delete offers but am not willing to risk my rear hatch rusting to get it.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Do a search for 'h3 spare tire delete plate'.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM

I searched a fair bit but I am worried, like some others on related threads, that covering the louver over entirely will cause problems since it is there to let pressure out. I am hoping a few members in my situation may have some advice to offer on an alternative to covering it or at least some reassurance that covering it doesn't do any real harm to the vents or HVAC system in general, etc.