PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Slow Gear Shift, Low RPM - Normal for H3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Default Slow Gear Shift, Low RPM - Normal for H3?

Hey All!

I recently bought a used 2007 H3 (automatic). When I accelerate, it hangs on to a gear a little long ... I can never tell if its 2nd or 3rd. When I level out my speed, 45-55 mph, the RPM drops to about 1500 which FEELS low. For those of you that have driven a manual before, its the same feeling you get when you skip to too high of a gear. After the RPM drops, I have to really step on the gas to accelerate.

I will say that I'm coming off of a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (don't ask), so naturally, a hummer is going to feel sluggish. Just wanted to put my mind at ease considering I had the radiator crack on the way home from the dealership and am worried about the whole tranny fluid/coolant mix.

Took it to the dealership, they couldn't find anything wrong with it (shocker!). No check engine light either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Just think of the gas mileage with the torque converter locked up early. But seriously, that sounds about right. That speed range can be a bit funny but I am usually trying to stay in that "low" area you mention at that speed. You could always use 3 in that speed range with no issues and it will keep you out of the low end of 4th. I think once you get a few more miles in it, it won't bother you.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Just think of the gas mileage with the torque converter locked up early. But seriously, that sounds about right. That speed range can be a bit funny but I am usually trying to stay in that "low" area you mention at that speed. You could always use 3 in that speed range with no issues and it will keep you out of the low end of 4th. I think once you get a few more miles in it, it won't bother you.
Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

a hummer is like any other vehicle.
if it doesnt feel right,and you know the feel, its wrong.
dont let denial fool you,you probably have ??trouble.

just drive another h3,or ANY truck similar and you will know.

we get a lot of,"is this normal for h3"!!.if it dont feel normal,,it aint!! im driving my 2nd h3 and they both felt "normal"sometime i pull down and miss drive, i know it pretty quik!. it dont feel right

you shouldnt have to hit gas much to drop out of tc lockup if thats what you're not used to

Last edited by drtom; 03-06-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny B. Epic
Hey All!

I recently bought a used 2007 H3 (automatic). When I accelerate, it hangs on to a gear a little long ... I can never tell if its 2nd or 3rd. When I level out my speed, 45-55 mph, the RPM drops to about 1500 which FEELS low. For those of you that have driven a manual before, its the same feeling you get when you skip to too high of a gear. After the RPM drops, I have to really step on the gas to accelerate.

I will say that I'm coming off of a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (don't ask), so naturally, a hummer is going to feel sluggish. Just wanted to put my mind at ease considering I had the radiator crack on the way home from the dealership and am worried about the whole tranny fluid/coolant mix.

Took it to the dealership, they couldn't find anything wrong with it (shocker!). No check engine light either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've put 38k on my 06 and it has done what you've described since the day i bought it used with 38k. I kinda like when I'm doing 50-55 and it drops to 1500-1600 rpm, you don't even feel or hear the engine running and plus you're saving gas.
The sluggishness of the gas pedal could be due to a dirty throttle body, or air filter, or spark plugs on their way out. I recently serviced all three and the gas pedal is much more responsive and it climbs hills with much less pedal than before.

drtom, never a positive word huh.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

drtom, never a positive word huh
?? just the facts.
you can tell when locked up. go ez on gas and rpms dont jump,they move with mph. hit too hard and lock drops out and rpm will jump 500-1000 and mph will"catch up slowly,till lock occures again. sometime also a down shift depending on gas feed and load,hills,etc.
i first became aware of this back when one of x perts explained that the h3 didnt really have overdrive,!, just tc lockup.
at that time i did a truth search,to find the facts. (it does indeed have od!)

Last edited by drtom; 03-07-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Wonder if this is what Im feeling with mine. About 60mph mid throttle the rpms drop and come back, almost a slip feel but not really. The acceleration feels strange also. Im still sure Im just being over sensitive to the new ride I hope

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

i drive a red one. if you see me,stop me and ill let u compare rides!!
im heading for pittsburgh in the morn,east frum s. bend!!

i must say i dont feel much change,very smooth shifts,up/down

hey,you say at 60?? only at 40-45 the tc locks. at steady throttle on level road you should'nt feel a change??
unless you are in/out because of load,grade?

u really need to swap with a regular h3 driver for a few miles

Last edited by drtom; 03-07-2012 at 08:00 PM.