PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shudder @ less than 5 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Default shudder @ less than 5 RPM

OK, so I've been having this problem with my '06 Hummer H3 Adventure
when I"m coming to a stop , it seems there is a shudder at about 5 RPM
I've taken it to the dealership and a mechanic told me it's normal since the H3 is only a 5 cyl. He completed a diagnostic which showed no error codes....should I consider a better battery or alternator to resolve this problem ?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM

My H3T is a 5cyl and it doesn't do that so it is not normal. Not sure what the problem could be though.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Don't understand your question brud? The engine won't run at 5 RPM, it will at 500?
Thought you meant 5 MPH?

So, having no idea what you are asking , I'll offer this: You are driving an I5 powered vehicle. The I5s are not inherently balanced, they have to have additional balance shafts and they still vibrate. They suffer from vibrations (free moments) of the first, second and third order, which pretty much means they shake, but at different frequencies, in almost all the rpm bands. Idle is slower so you feel it more.

IOWs, they vibrate. They do not run smooth like a I6 or V8. Relax, get used to it.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

On the other hand, if what you are experiencing is while on the brakes just before a complete stop, you could have rear brake rotor problems? IF, you are feeling a shake or grind from the rear? There have been TSBs on rear brake rotor resurfacing and how to check for the issue.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Where are these TSBs on the rear moaning brakes?
I have that constantly on my 08 H3.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Search: "rear brake noise", https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ar+brake+noise there are more.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Thank you Doc. I Goggled rear brake growling and foun a few things on the internet.

I called a different dealer today and told them I had this growling noise in the back two brakes, the service guy said because I have 20K miles on it, it may need brakes. I said no way, I had the other dealer look into this noise and they could not duplicate it, so I said to this service guy that they failed and he should not head down the same road as they did.
The unfortunate part is I won't get the H3 in until the middle of next month. I'm tied up until then.
I will try and follow through for others here.

Thanks again.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 PM

DOC OLDS
I'll be more specific....between 5000-10,000 RPM's and between 5-10 MPH when braking just before a complete stop...it feels as though the engine is trying to keep up or it feels as though it wants to stall. I know it's only a 5CyL engine ...but it feels like an electrical problem..it does not feel like rear brakes. I know you offer the explanation of idle being slower...and I thank you for your expertise..But there 's got to be something that can be done...increasing the idle, alternator check. It's hard for me to just deal with it...it's my OCD kickin' in....Thanx BB

Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM

mine is a 08 H3 adventure and a 5 Cyl as well.
Do not have this problem. get it checked out.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM

I used too many zero's 500-1000 RPM's

Quick Reply: shudder @ less than 5 RPM