Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Shift fork flu ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Default Shift fork flu ??

Or just a hiccup? Recently I drove abt 20 miles into and around town all normal. Then turned into a parking lot and when i made a hard left turn to park, it stopped,seemed like i was pushing against something. I backed up and couldn't move till I turned the wheel back to the right.
I got parked and when I pulled out to leave it still felt wrong. I did the backup routine while turning,always watching the lights which were normal.
I never felt it again. I was reminded that it seemed like this happened once before.
I exercize all modes/lockers almost monthly and never get stuck in lock so I am real curious how this happens ,rarely, in an h3 that works perfectly for months on end. I have no doubts that it was not a button pushed.
I got no codes,nothing but the feeling that i couldn't move with light pressure on the gas on wet,not slippery pavement.
???

Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Yep that sounds familiar. Kinda like what mine use to do when the fork was bad. I have a 2006 Hummer H3.

Eventually mine was replace after I convinced the dealership it was the shift fork. You may be having a different problem though. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Unhappy Quite familiar with your symptoms!

Sounds exactly like the sporadic problem I had on my 2006 H3 for years before having it serviced early last year. The mechanic at the dealer said he had already replaced over 300 of those plastic shift forks with the aluminium ones. It cost $700, GM may help but only if your the original owner and they'll deny ever having heard of the problem. BTW the plastic shift fork may or may not appear damaged on removal but changing to the metal fork solves the annoying binding problem you describe. Goodluck.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 AM

Can we buy the alum shift fork or is that a dealer only part? Also, how hard is it to replace it ourselves? I am not having the problem but would like to avoid leaving my wife stranded somewhere...I have a 08, do you know if they corrected the issue or just kept going with the same crappy part?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

The switch from plastic fork to metal was made in early 2007 models, mine is a Feb 07 build and has the plastic fork. 2008s already have the metal fork.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=happythree;292800]Or just a hiccup? Recently I drove abt 20 miles into and around town all normal. Then turned into a parking lot and when i made a hard left turn to park, it stopped,seemed like i was pushing against something. I backed up and couldn't move till I turned the wheel back to the right.
I got parked and when I pulled out to leave it still felt wrong. I did the backup routine while turning,always watching the lights which were normal.
I never felt it again. I was reminded that it seemed like this happened once before.
I exercize all modes/lockers almost monthly and never get stuck in lock so I am real curious how this happens ,rarely, in an h3 that works perfectly for months on end. I have no doubts that it was not a button pushed.
I got no codes,nothing but the feeling that i couldn't move with light pressure on the gas on wet,not slippery pavement.
??? Did you figure out the problem? I have the same problem. Enlighten me please.