PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service tpm ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Hello, I am a new H3 owner, just picked up an 06 on yesterday and very happy so far. I noticed last night that I got this message twice on the interstate. I would drive a little bit and it would go away. I am going to talk to the dealer about it just to see what they say. My question is: I usually rotate my tires every other oil change, am I going to have to do that stupid sequence every time I rotate these?? How hard is it to make sure this thing learns?

Old 03-02-2015, 10:18 PM

I got 4 new tires in May 2014. The day after I got tires the message "SERV TPM" came up, for the first time ever. I called the tire shop and told them there must have been something they did to cause this. They told me to come down and they would check it out. They have some tool that can measure battery life on TPM valve stems. After looking at it the guy said all of my TPM valve stems have low batteries and that is why I am getting that message. That it would be $100 per stem to have them replaced, since you just can't replace the batteries. $400 sounds like a lot just to have a system fixed that never did anything for me in the first 8 years of owning this vehicle. Also, I don't understand why I never got the message before I had the tires replaced and then I started getting the message afterward. The tire shop said that deflating and reflating the tires wore the last remaining juice out of the batteries likely. Seems fishy to me.

Fast forward almost 9 months and I still haven't paid the $400 to get this fixed. I just hit the tachometer button when the message pops up, and it immediately goes away, for awhile. The message is very sporadic. Sometimes I run an errand and never see it pop up, while other times I'll see it pop up and I cancel it out multiple times in one trip. I know it's not impacting anything, and it's more of a nuisance than anything, but I've decided to sell my Hummer after 8 years of owning it, and I don't know how to easily convince a potential buyer that the error message they might get driving down the road right after they buy my H3, isn't anything to be concerned with.

Does this sound like a low batteries problem to you guys who've dealt with this? What do you guys recommend? Dumping $400 into "hopefully" making the problem go away, or just ignoring it and tell the buyer to ignore it as well?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 AM

It might be time to get them replaced. Think about it, your vehicle was assembled in 2006 (probably 2005)...it is 2015..those are 9-10 year old batteries.
Now you could retrain your system for the TPM, maybe the guys rotated the tires and the wheels arent where the computer thinks they are.
Or
you could do some voodoo thing, disconnect battery terminals - wait 30 minutes for things to discharge - connect them back up.
*I know someone will say something about this as nonsense....bah whatever

Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 AM

I agree that the sensor batteries might be near end of life.

But damn clan, $100 a sensor is robbery.
You can get sensors online for about $35 each.

Then go to an INDEPENDENT tire shop (NOT a chain place) and have them installed. That should be about $10 to $20 per tire.

Then do the relearn procedure as noted in the manual and you're done for about $180 to $220.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by clan0013
I got 4 new tires in May 2014. The day after I got tires the message "SERV TPM" came up, for the first time ever. I called the tire shop and told them there must have been something they did to cause this. They told me to come down and they would check it out. They have some tool that can measure battery life on TPM valve stems. After looking at it the guy said all of my TPM valve stems have low batteries and that is why I am getting that message. That it would be $100 per stem to have them replaced, since you just can't replace the batteries. $400 sounds like a lot just to have a system fixed that never did anything for me in the first 8 years of owning this vehicle. Also, I don't understand why I never got the message before I had the tires replaced and then I started getting the message afterward. The tire shop said that deflating and reflating the tires wore the last remaining juice out of the batteries likely. Seems fishy to me.

Fast forward almost 9 months and I still haven't paid the $400 to get this fixed. I just hit the tachometer button when the message pops up, and it immediately goes away, for awhile. The message is very sporadic. Sometimes I run an errand and never see it pop up, while other times I'll see it pop up and I cancel it out multiple times in one trip. I know it's not impacting anything, and it's more of a nuisance than anything, but I've decided to sell my Hummer after 8 years of owning it, and I don't know how to easily convince a potential buyer that the error message they might get driving down the road right after they buy my H3, isn't anything to be concerned with.

Does this sound like a low batteries problem to you guys who've dealt with this? What do you guys recommend? Dumping $400 into "hopefully" making the problem go away, or just ignoring it and tell the buyer to ignore it as well?
Oh how I love it when people dig up an OLD AZZED thread.

You failed to provide the most important info you could have relating to your question. What PSI are your tires inflated to???? 1) All 4 on the ground need to be the same, not just close, but as exactly the same as you can get them. 2) Before you do anything, check each tire with a gauge, and then set them at 38PSI COLD. If the message persists, then you know it is dead/dying TPMS batteries, and follow what Bunger said.

Please use the search feature as there is tons of info on this topic here, and please always look how old the last post is before you post. Better to post a brand new thread and link old stuff if you think it is somehow relevant to why you have not found your answers.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Doc
Can you lock OLD threads so no one resurrects them?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:43 PM

Please don't lock old threads. I love a good 6 year old thread! Btw, my light came on today too. 2 tires were 3 lbs lower than the others. Filled them all the same , bingo. No more svc TPS light

Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis
Maybe that's all it is then, let us know if the proper tire inflation cured your alarm..

I have the same tires as you, and I always maintain 40 PSI cold in all four, the tires can Handle 50 PSI MAX..(best to keep then all equal too.)
Yes, I agree! In my case in cold weather message: Service TPM is coming out from time to time and it always related with low tire pressure. So maintain your tire pressure in all four tires plus spare tire( my mechanic told me that spare tire also has TPM and could make influence too when message on DIC appeared).

Last edited by collega; 03-05-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Lock (as in no more updating - seems to **** off management {lol})
not delete

Someone can open a new thread and refer to a locked thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by collega
Yes, I agree! In my case in cold weather message: Service TPM is coming out from time to time and it always related with low tire pressure. So maintain your tire pressure in all four tires plus spare tire( my mechanic told me that spare tire also has PCM and could make influence too when message on DIC appeared).
Your mechanic would be.... wrong. First, the H3 can ONLY monitor 4 tires. Second, after early 2007 GM stopped including TPMS in the spare from the factory. So, even if you have an early H3 with a TPMS in the spare (like mine), the truck can only monitor 4. Like so many other threads on this topic have said before, for those that rotate in a spare with a sensor, it has to be programmed in to one of the 4 that the truck is monitoring.

Easy way to tell, the monitors have a metal valve stem. If your spare has a rubber valve stem = no sensor.

Quick Reply: service tpm ?