PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

rutt roohhh....check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Default rutt roohhh....check engine light on

so after putting about 1800 miles on the truck since putting the K&N on ( I put it on a two weeks ago, just got around to posting about it yesterday) my check engine light came on tonight. I actually got the best mileage EVER before it came on...got 114 on $20 before the low fuel came on....thats 30 miles more than before the K&N kit. I put $20 of gas in and drove 36 miles then the check engine light came on. I checked the MAS and it is clean as it was new. I'm gonna call tomorrow and make an appointment but my question.....should I attempt to put the stock air filter system back on or will the K&N not void anything?

Old 11-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Default RE: rutt roohhh....check engine light on

Depends on how well you and the service write know each other..I know mine like a friend and he never mentions my stuff..

So if you don't know them very well..I'd put the stock filter on, just incase it is the MAF and they won't blame the K&N CAI..

Old 11-03-2006, 01:48 AM

unless you keep your engine compartment as clean as dennis does, they'll know you've been messing around with the air cleaner. here's to hoping you're on good term with them . . . .[sm=hail.gif]

Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 AM

actually I only brought mine in once before when I first bought it so I am not a friend or foe of the service department...yet

Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 AM

Your K&N should not be a problem towards warranty work. If I remember the legal writting, unless the manufacturer is willing to pay for your replacement/service parts (like oil filters, air filters etc) they have no real say over what brand is used. Now if you use 20w50 oil when it calls for 5w30, they might have an issue if they can prove it.. but as long as the filter is designed for the H3, they can't tell you not to run it.

I have heard of some K&N's getting little loose on the intake tube and letting air leak by and setting off a check engine light, but I have never had the problem myself. I believe the same can happen if there is too much oil and it his the MAF sensor. But, you said that was clean.

I'd double check the filter to make sure it's not loose, and also make a stop at the service center to be sure. It could be something else, and just happened to come on now... sort of like a cow-winky-dink .. but who knows.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Fireman

Your K&N should not be a problem towards warranty work. If I remember the legal writting, unless the manufacturer is willing to pay for your replacement/service parts (like oil filters, air filters etc) they have no real say over what brand is used. Now if you use 20w50 oil when it calls for 5w30, they might have an issue if they can prove it.. but as long as the filter is designed for the H3, they can't tell you not to run it.

I have heard of some K&N's getting little loose on the intake tube and letting air leak by and setting off a check engine light, but I have never had the problem myself. I believe the same can happen if there is too much oil and it his the MAF sensor. But, you said that was clean.

I'd double check the filter to make sure it's not loose, and also make a stop at the service center to be sure. It could be something else, and just happened to come on now... sort of like a cow-winky-dink .. but who knows.
What he said.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Your gas cap is the problem. I think if you loosing & retighten the gas cap, go thru it 5 cranking cycles it will go out. Call OnStar and they can give more information.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM

Mine too just came on the other day. The first thing I did was hit the OnStar button. They can do the remote diagnostic check of the car's computer system. They can tell you if it is a major or minor problem.

As for the CAI or cat-back for that matter voiding anything. The answer is no, it shouldn't. Heck, my dealer sells Airaid CAIs as well as Corsa and Borla exhausts. I asked the guy when I dropped mine off this past Tuesday and he said that neither of them affect anything as far as warranty.

Brett Getzen

ps My light was caused by a plugged catalytic convertor. How that happened in 5200 miles I don't know.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Our dealer's service manager has always been very helpful, so I called and asked him if I would run into any warranty issues with a K&N intake installed. He said no problem. He mentioned they have installed them on a bunch of H3s (per customer request) and actually perfers them to the stock box. He likes the increased air flow. [sm=itsok.gif]

Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 PM

Magnuson Moss Act

Quick Reply: rutt roohhh....check engine light on