PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

running boards

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Default running boards

So I bent one back already. Had to pry it forward off the back tire with a crowbar. I need the step sides so my short wife can get in it, but I need the clearance as well because I do hummer $h!+. Anyone know of a nice folding option available?

Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Your wife is not any shorter than mine, and I have never had those useless nerf bars on my truck. She steps in just like everybody else.

Two words: Rock Rails.

I forget who makes them (not interested in them) but somebody makes retractable side steps, but.... they are expensive, and they do get bent from wheeling so then you have expensive bent up stuff.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Your wife is not any shorter than mine, and I have never had those useless nerf bars on my truck. She steps in just like everybody else.

Two words: Rock Rails.

I forget who makes them (not interested in them) but somebody makes retractable side steps, but.... they are expensive, and they do get bent from wheeling so then you have expensive bent up stuff.
Did your wife get T-boned in the drivers door by a Dodge Bighorn dually Cummins at 70 mph and survive? Because mine did. Looking for options other than carrying a milk crate in the back seat. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM

I told my wife that I like how she looks while climbing in! Seriously, though, AMP makes automatic powered running boards/steps. They are expensive, and won't hold up to hard off-roading, but they may be what you are looking for.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM

Calm down a minute superman. You stated you had a short wife and nothing more. Plenty of us out there with height challenged spouses without nurse bars.

There are several options but none are made for both hummer $h!+ and daily use. Most will bend or get you high sided. Take a look at Nfab. They may work for you.

http://www.n-fab.com/products/?searc...ummer&model=H3

Last edited by TAINTER; 10-24-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot, milk crate in the back seat will work.

Free happy meal coupon for 650Hawk, those Amp steps are what I was thinking of.

Nfabs are probably tougher, but also pricey if I remember.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:20 PM

Thanks. I wasn't upset about it. Just looking for suggestions without the "make her climb in anyway" stuff.

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Calm down a minute superman. You stated you had a short wife and nothing more. Plenty of us out there with height challenged spouses without nurse bars.

There are several options but none are made for both hummer $h!+ and daily use. Most will bend or get you high sided. Take a look at Nfab. They may work for you.

Manufacturers of high quality Nerf Steps, Prerunners, Harley Bars, Light Bars, Replacement Front Bumpers, Rock Rails, Rear Runners, Tire Carriers & Truck Accessories

Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Yeah, the AMPs are very nice looking; tuck up really nice and deploy quickly. But of course they won't survive anything more than very light off-road "hits". The Nfab's are nice, and of course tougher than AMP. They even have some with bolt on, removable steps, so that your wife could get in, but you could still remove the step itself for a hard off-road trip.