Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Roof Rack Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Default Roof Rack Build

So i was thinking of what accessory i wanted next, and a roof rack is what i really wanted. So i started looking for one and found the Gobi was something that i really liked..........But the price was crazy high....for me.

So i thought i should make one.

Here is my build

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners - Zero83's Album: Roof Rack

Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM

very cool. You want to sell it? hahaha. I am curious though how you addressed the rail mounts. Can you provide some closer pics of that. Thanks

Old 02-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by HummDingr
very cool. You want to sell it? hahaha. I am curious though how you addressed the rail mounts. Can you provide some closer pics of that. Thanks
Yea the mounts were the tricky part, i wanted the inside to be 49" wide so i could put a full sheet of wood up there, and the center of the rails is less so there is some overhang.

so what i did was added some tabs for my bolts on the rack that came straight down, (you can kinda see them in the pic of the rack hanging after paint)

but the mount is a bolt head that fits in the channel with a washer attached to the bolt head. that keeps the bolt in the channel and not spinning.
the raiser that spaces the rack off the top has a washer attached to the inside so i can bolt it together. once the spacers were tightly bolted to the channel, the rack just sat inside and bolted to the spacers.

i added a few more pics, i hope that helps.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM

carriage bolts have a smooth head and square shoulder that fits the channel. u need a small washer that wont hit the painted roof. check metric washers,big hole,small outside. use 1/2 in bolts,cheap at lowes.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 PM

heres the bolt...

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Build-102_1325.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 PM

once more, im lost!

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Build-bolts.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 05:00 PM

So is it fabbed up in steel or aluminum? Also, how likely would you consider posting up a stock supply list, dimensions, and or a sketch. While i am somewhat mechanically inclined i have never welded. This would give me a reason to add a rig to my garage and start playing. I cant really see a ton of complexity outside of 22.5 degree angles, and patience. How many hours would you say that you have invested?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
once more, im lost!
yes same idea. but my rack is wide. so i put something like that inside the spacer.

the only deference is i welded a washer inside the spacer so i could bolt the spacer to the channel on the truck.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by HummDingr
So is it fabbed up in steel or aluminum? Also, how likely would you consider posting up a stock supply list, dimensions, and or a sketch. While i am somewhat mechanically inclined i have never welded. This would give me a reason to add a rig to my garage and start playing. I cant really see a ton of complexity outside of 22.5 degree angles, and patience. How many hours would you say that you have invested?
i built the rack out of 1" steel tube
and the outside measurements are 50"wide by 84" long.

but as far as supply list... most i already had in this shop from other projects.
i did however have to buy a 4'x8' sheet of expanded metal for the floor.

id say all in all total price would be somewhere around $250 or so.