PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Reset Tire Pressure Monitor?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by cucumber1949
Alright, I'll bite. 2008 H3. The problem: Start engine, TPMS light blinks for about a minute or two then goes on steady. Get 'SERV TPM' message on DIC. This is an indication that a sensor(s) is not being received or other malfunction not related to tire pressure issues. Did the TPMS re-learn successfully using the frequency exciter tool. If summertime, this problem would not show up again. Get below about 40 degrees and it would show up again within 20 minutes (correct as this is described in the FSM). My DX was weak battery in TPMS sensor that got cranky when cold.

Seeing that the H3 doesn't identify the troublesome sensor on the DIC, I got out my scan tool and it showed the right front sensor is faulty - IIRC the code was C0755. Ordered a ACDelco 20927604 from Amazon for $40. Just to verify I received a compatible/working sensor I performed the re-learn procedure again but when re-learning the right front, I used the freq exciter on the new sensor I was holding in my hand - got the horn chirp on that one and the next two and the re-learn was done. Then took the car to Discount Tire with the new sensor (got a low tire warning of course on the way). Discount Tire installed the new sensor for $23 and I was on my way. Within 10 minutes the low tire warning went away and it has been perfect to this day, including through the winter. A bit of an unorthodox procedure, but it worked.
Yep, all new sensors are installed, and the BCM seems to recognize them OK. But that pesky warning light and message will not go away. So, I hope the dealer can fix it.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by bosscar
Yep, all new sensors are installed, and the BCM seems to recognize them OK. But that pesky warning light and message will not go away. So, I hope the dealer can fix it.
Frustrating for sure. Please update with the findings from the dealer, DTC codes etc. Good luck to you.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:41 AM

Even after you program the TPMs you will have to drive for about 10 miles for the BCM to turn off the code.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you so much for digging up this OLD AS DIRT Thread.

At what tire pressure? If you read this thread, then you can see that PSI is the key. Set all 4 to exactly 38PSI cold, see what that does for ya.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM

That's correct Doc! I haven't seen the tpms light since I raised my tire pressures to 38psi. Not even during the cold winter days. Also, as stated before, programming new tpm sensors does require driving to relearn. GL

Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
That's correct Doc! I haven't seen the tpms light since I raised my tire pressures to 38psi. Not even during the cold winter days. Also, as stated before, programming new tpm sensors does require driving to relearn. GL
It's nice to get solid help and information from people who have there and done that.....thanks. But the sarcasm of doc is the kind of stuff that makes me want to freaking scream. I have lived and breathed cars my whole life, I'm fairly knowledgeable in most of the basics, do all of my own work, rebuilt engines, transmissions, diffs, restored an old Mustang from the ground up, raced cars off and on for over 40 years. Worked as a dealership parts manager for over 35 years, etc etc......
Okay, put the tires at 38, drove home 26 miles, light and message didn't go out. Unhooked the battery to reset the BCM, everything cleared, no message and no warning light when restarted. Drove less than one mile and both came back on. Hmmmmm.......guess I'm still going to the dealer next week.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 PM

It's nice to get solid help and information from people who have there and done that.....thanks. But the sarcasm of doc is the kind of stuff that makes me want to freaking scream. I have lived and breathed cars my whole life, I'm fairly knowledgeable in most of the basics, do all of my own work, rebuilt engines, transmissions, diffs, restored an old Mustang from the ground up, raced cars off and on for over 40 years. Worked as a dealership parts manager for over 35 years, etc etc......
Okay, put the tires at 38, drove home 26 miles, light and message didn't go out. Unhooked the battery to reset the BCM, everything cleared, no message and no warning light when restarted. Drove less than one mile and both came back on. Hmmmmm.......guess I'm still going to the dealer next week.
Agree, some old threads still have value if for nothing else to keep from repeating the history of what's been done or tried vs starting all over again from scratch, but I also understand why site admins don't like to see them especially if not in original context. Tough call but I come down on the side of the more information, the better.

Boss, what codes are you getting? Should be showing a chassis DTC on your scan tool if you have a 'SERV TPM' message on the DIC.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by cucumber1949
Agree, some old threads still have value if for nothing else to keep from repeating the history of what's been done or tried vs starting all over again from scratch, but I also understand why site admins don't like to see them especially if not in original context. Tough call but I come down on the side of the more information, the better.

Boss, what codes are you getting? Should be showing a chassis DTC on your scan tool if you have a 'SERV TPM' message on the DIC.
I have a Craftsman CanOBD2 diagnostic tool, no codes, even though the dash says "low tire", and the tire symbol is on steady. The change oil message is on too and I can't even erase that. This is one weird vehicle......lol. I'm pretty sure my scan tool will only read codes stored in the engine ecu though. Not in the BCM. oh well.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:33 AM

boss, what year do you have? Do you have 4 or 5 TPMS? Some 06 came with TPMS on the spare also. Tell tale sign would be a metal value stem on ALL of the tires including the spare.

#2. If you have a rubber valve stem on any of the tires that touch the ground (5 tire rotation) that's not going to work either.

#3. If you have 5 TPMS they need to be reprogrammed every time you rotate.

#4. DIC says SERV TPMS you need to replace the units. DIC says LOW TIRE then check every tire on the ground cold for 38psi.

#5. You may have a bad BCM if you are unable to to clear the CHANGE OIL message on the DIC. Might have mentioned that little bit of knowledge a bit sooner. As a former "dealership parts manager for over 35 years" you should know that ALL information is pertinent to diagnosis of a vehicle issue ESPECIALLY since we are on the internet and don't have the vehicle and in front of us.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:37 PM

I shouldn't have mentioned the change oil message because I had only just tried to do it while my scanner was hooked up to see if there were any codes to read. Later I read the instructions for resetting the mileage and took care of it. That's done, no problem. The fifth sensor is in the spare but the BCM only has the capability to read the four on the ground from what the shop manual says. Which makes sense because the sensor needs to spin to wake up. When the tires are not moving, the sensor turns off to save on battery life. So the BCM will never read it anyway since the spare never moves.. I'll set it to 38 today and try to see if it makes any difference but I don't have any hope it will. I'm thinking that the BCM is the key to this problem too. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reset Tire Pressure Monitor?