PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing transmission fluid after radiator swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Default Replacing transmission fluid after radiator swap

Hey guys, I replaced my radiator this weekend and could not get a good reading of the transmission fluid when I was trying to replace some that drained while I was working on the radiator. In the end I believe I overfilled it and wanted to do a complete flush as I am way overdue for that anyhow. So I went to a Valvoline place on my way to work and they wanted to put Valvoline MaxLife transmission fluid instead of the suggested by the manual Dexron VI. Can someone confirm that this will work with the 2006 Hummer H3? They stated it is fully compatible and I find some info online pointing that it maybe so but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with MaxLife tran fluid or know if it is ok for me to let them use it?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
rsc

I used it in my Kia that is very picky about what oil goes into it, no issues yet. It meets the SPIII spec for that picky Kia 5-speed and it is also compatible with GM's DexVI as well. Its a synthetic fluid, good stuff.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Default i used onle dex6 from napa

here is the best advice i ever saw . i did it and got ALL the old juice out. the guy really got it right.

11-25-2012, 09:23 AM
ColoradoHummerH3

Radiator Removal
Instructions work great. When removing the transmission lines, there is a tool that you can buy for about $5.00 called a GM transmission line puller that will help speed up the job. Once you remove the line, use an earplug to stop up the line. I will also stress, if the hose clamps lock out when taking them off, be careful when putting back on, they do have alot of spring to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrote
2008 H3, 5 cyl, Auto, Air. Radiator Removal guide.

I just finished replacing the Rad in the above mentioned vehical and thought I would give my novice instructions on the procedures I used.

First off, you do not need to remove the fan clutch to perform this job. It will give you a little extra room, but not needed.
  1. Remove the skip plate in the vehical. This is held on by 4 bolts. 2 10mm and 2 13mm.
  2. Move the dust flap up and out of the way and remove the lower Rad hose to drain the system.
  3. Remove the upper hose from the Rad. You can pinch the factory hose clamps with channel lock type pliars, to remove the hoses.
  4. There is a small vent line on the left side (pass side) of the Rad. Remove it from the clip and move the hose out of the way.
  5. The fan shroud has a inner and outter ring. With the top hose out of the way, you can now slide the inner ring all the way around. This will give you enough clearance to remove the shroud (it'll make sense when you're doing it). There are two tabs on each side of the shroud, just push them in and wriggle the shroud off.
  6. From under the car, remove the two protective covers over the trans line clips. Using a small flat head screw drive, pry the clips off (this is one of the most time consuming parts of the job). One the clips are free, just pull the trans lines out of thier fittings. You will lose around 1 qt of Dexton IV fluid.
  7. Remove the top center Rad hold down. The Rad is now loose and can be moved around a little.
  8. You have to remove two bolts holding the AC condensor to the Rad. One is on the driver side and can be removed by going through the grill. It's a 10mm. Use a 10 inch ext on your ratchet. The second bolt can be removed by moving the rad forward a little. It's also a 10mm and very easy to remove. The lower part of the AC Cond. is an interference fit plastic clip that it sits in, on the Rad. Nothing fancy about pulling it off the Rad.
  9. At this time, you can remove the Rad and replace.
A few notes- The job took me about 2 hours. The Trans fluid is Dextron IV and is very expensive as far as ATF goes. If you reuse the original hose clamps and you compressed the clamp as to where it is locked into the open position, I cannot stress enough to be extrememly careful when 'unspringing' the clamp. You could easily lose an eye, break a finger etc by the pressure in which those clamps are held.

Feel free to add any other tips that I may have missed.

Tools required
Ratchet
Sockets- 10mm, 13mm
Flat head screw drivers
Channel lock pliars

Parts
New Rad (amazon 235.00 with shipping)
1 gal. Anti freeze
1 quart of ATF fluid

hope you can follow this or get it thru search. it takes some careful work but you get a good clean flush and refill, all fresh.

btw, the clips go up and i packed some putty around them so they cant go flying around and get lost!! the lines are tricky to get back in so be SURE you get them in right. gud luk,,,,

Last edited by happythree; 11-23-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I was able to replace everything with the instructions here and what I found online. I made a video which I will upload to youtube over the next few days and post a link here. I had one problem and that was getting the right reading for my transmission fluid so I went ahead and got it flushed at local Valvoline place. They asked me to come back the next day to check the level which was low and they put a bit extra in. I checked again last night and it was right on the bottom line so I went again today and they put some more in. Well, now I am about 1/4 inch above the max line and not sure if this is safe? I found information online that too little or too much is not good but they told me if it ends up a little over it is ok. Should I go back again and have them drain some of it or is this amount safe? I am not very comfortable not meeting/keeping to the guidelines

Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM

If you want an easy fix to an overfill just get one of those small hand suction pumps and stick a tube down the dipstick tube and suck some out till your happy. Just a thought.