PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starter II

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Default Remote Starter II

As I said I added the Viper 160VX to my H3 a week ago but with the problems I have had since, I am beginning to wonder if it can work right at all?? The first day I got it (Dec 19 2005) I walked to the car, unlocked the doors and hit the starter button... It failed to start but did turn over... I got in and turned the key and it again turned over but failed to start... The retailer advised the Viper has a 22 minute safeguard and once it is tripped, it will take 22 minutes to reset... He called Viper and they advised because he assumed the system was the same as the Colorado, he had left one wire not connected that he should have connected... I assumed that was the entire problem and went on my way...

Because of the passlock system, they explained that the system used to lock the vehicle HAD to be used to unlock it... The viper has the lock feature but if it is not used as the locking device it could not be used as the unlocking device... Because of this, I stopped using the factory remote and only used the viper for everything...

On Dec 23 2005 I was coming from the grocery store and unlocked the car with the viper remote... I loaded my food in and returned the cart to the cart corral... As I walked back toward my H3 I hit the start button and it turned over but failed to start... I got in and used the key and it again turned over but failed to start... I called the retailer and we deduced that unlocking the doors prior to starting it must have activated the passlock and when the starter fired, must have initiated another fault... I waited the 22 minutes and was on my way no problems... The remedy it seemed was that I ALWAYS had to use the starter first and then the doors could be unlocked...

On Dec 25 2005 heading out to see the family I very carefully hit the starter button and when I got to my car 5 or 10 minutes later found it on but not running... I unlocked the doors, got in and tried the key and it turned over but failed to start... I waited the 22 minutes and was on my way no problem... Once at my families house, with plenty of time to wait if need be, determined to find the problem I tried every possible order of locking, unlocking and starting it via the remote starter and nothing caused a fault... I unlocked it and starter it... I started and stopped it without the key both locked and unlocked, etc, etc, etc and etc.... I tried everything 5 times over and it did not fault once...

The question is?? What can be going wrong?? There seems no rhyme or reason to these faults and no thing that can always cause them or always avoid them... I have been back to the retailer and will go back tomorrow but I am not sure what to tell him... Has anyone else had this same problem??? I am a bit lost on this one...

Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Default RE: Remote Starter II

wow that sounds like a real pain in the ***. The 22minute thing would kill me b/c I'm always in a rush! I've been planning on a remote start for awhile just didn't have the time to take it in. Did they need your spare key to make it work?? I was told they would need it for some pass box...

Old 12-27-2005, 12:12 AM

The dealer attempted to put a remote start in before I picked it up on 12/17 but was unable to. He had his install guy tied up with this for about a week during the holidays. They put it in and ran into similar issues you are reporting. At least they caught them before they gave it to me. They took it out and tried a different one. No dice. After taking it out and starting from scratch using 4 different units they finally put it back together and wrote me an IOU. I took it back last Wednesday (they gave me a loaner H3) and they were going to install the remote start as well as the DVD system. Well I drove around in their loaner for two days and they called me to come get my truck. They tried a few more remote starts and still can't get it. As for the DVD system, that is GM's fault. They goofed when trying to figure out how many cloth vs leather, tan vs black. So they cannot put them in either because there are no black cloth units to be found. The remote start they believe is a software issue and they are replacing some kind of module that is on order and will be in the 2nd week of January. It sucks not having the remote start in with the worse part of winter coming in a week or two but I guess I'd rather have a fully functioning H3 without remote start than one that is dead and needs a tow. The installers are stumped on this and I think it will quickly be a problem they will have to figure out.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:11 AM

why would you even think about having a dealer install a remote starter, i am dumfounded by this, they are certified in repairing cars not installing aftermarket equipment, i dont know a dealership in the area (any make), that has any people on the books that are MECP certified, which is what is reccomended on every remote starter package, finding and fixing something electrical is completely different than installing aftermarkey part,

Old 12-27-2005, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: GregDiesel

wow that sounds like a real pain in the ***. The 22minute thing would kill me b/c I'm always in a rush! I've been planning on a remote start for awhile just didn't have the time to take it in. Did they need your spare key to make it work?? I was told they would need it for some pass box...

No the Key needed is for the keys with computer chips in them and the Hummer H3 does not use them...

Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: CruisinCarAudio

why would you even think about having a dealer install a remote starter, i am dumfounded by this, they are certified in repairing cars not installing aftermarket equipment, i dont know a dealership in the area (any make), that has any people on the books that are MECP certified, which is what is reccomended on every remote starter package, finding and fixing something electrical is completely different than installing aftermarkey part,

Rayco did mine but not sure how that will work out just yet...

Old 12-27-2005, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Rayvyn

As I said I added the Viper 160VX to my H3 a week ago but with the problems I have had since, I am beginning to wonder if it can work right at all?? The first day I got it (Dec 19 2005) I walked to the car, unlocked the doors and hit the starter button... It failed to start but did turn over... I got in and turned the key and it again turned over but failed to start... The retailer advised the Viper has a 22 minute safeguard and once it is tripped, it will take 22 minutes to reset... He called Viper and they advised because he assumed the system was the same as the Colorado, he had left one wire not connected that he should have connected... I assumed that was the entire problem and went on my way...

Because of the passlock system, they explained that the system used to lock the vehicle HAD to be used to unlock it... The viper has the lock feature but if it is not used as the locking device it could not be used as the unlocking device... Because of this, I stopped using the factory remote and only used the viper for everything...

On Dec 23 2005 I was coming from the grocery store and unlocked the car with the viper remote... I loaded my food in and returned the cart to the cart corral... As I walked back toward my H3 I hit the start button and it turned over but failed to start... I got in and used the key and it again turned over but failed to start... I called the retailer and we deduced that unlocking the doors prior to starting it must have activated the passlock and when the starter fired, must have initiated another fault... I waited the 22 minutes and was on my way no problems... The remedy it seemed was that I ALWAYS had to use the starter first and then the doors could be unlocked...

On Dec 25 2005 heading out to see the family I very carefully hit the starter button and when I got to my car 5 or 10 minutes later found it on but not running... I unlocked the doors, got in and tried the key and it turned over but failed to start... I waited the 22 minutes and was on my way no problem... Once at my families house, with plenty of time to wait if need be, determined to find the problem I tried every possible order of locking, unlocking and starting it via the remote starter and nothing caused a fault... I unlocked it and starter it... I started and stopped it without the key both locked and unlocked, etc, etc, etc and etc.... I tried everything 5 times over and it did not fault once...

The question is?? What can be going wrong?? There seems no rhyme or reason to these faults and no thing that can always cause them or always avoid them... I have been back to the retailer and will go back tomorrow but I am not sure what to tell him... Has anyone else had this same problem??? I am a bit lost on this one...
rayvyn try calling this place up and ask for there advise this is where i was going to go they seem it be no problem but now i glad i did not get it get it yet http://audiowerks.net/

Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM

They told me the metal of the key has a certain Ohm resistance value needed for the kit.

No the Key needed is for the keys with computer chips in them and the Hummer H3 does not use them...

Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 PM

I never heard that or of that and did not need to leave an extra key when they did my starter... We did with my girlfriend's Mitsubishi Eclipse...

Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 AM

They told me the metal of the key has a certain Ohm resistance value needed for the kit.

The gm version of passlock in the h3 doesnt require an additional key being placed in a keybox under the dash, the installer that told you that is an idiot and i wouldnt take it there because they dont know what they are doing, other gm versions some newer cadilacs, mid 90's pontiacs and olds (visible chip in key), passkey3 and passkey3+ which are in azteks, equinoxs, rendevous and some others require and additional kep because of the resisitor, passlock is in the ignition system itself, so you are required to have a bypass module for the remote start to work,

Quick Reply: Remote Starter II