PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear View Mirror Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Default Rear View Mirror Flashing

We just had our first good snow storm..yes its early. But I noticed that my compass/temp display seemed to be power cycling when it was snowing hard?? Was this the Onstar system losing a signal?
I do have the Gobi rack and have been having XM reception issues.... but this was behaving like there was a loose wire or something..any ideas?

Old 10-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Default RE: Rear View Mirror Flashing

I don't think the compass on the mirror is hooked up to OnStar. My wife has the same set-up in her Malibu and it doesn't have OnStar. I posted on your GOBI thread about maybe taking off the GOBI wind deflector and seeing if that cures your problem with the XM radio. If it works without the wind deflector, will it cause wind noise? I was thinking about the blocking of the OnStar antenna using the rack looking at it when you fisrt posted the pics of your rack. Is your phone affected by the rack too?

Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM

I havent tried the phone yet...just recharged my minutes yesterday. good idea though..I'll try pulling the deflector and see if that helps.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

It happens when it's either extremely cold, or the temperature sensor is iced up. I've had it happen a few times here in Chicago (It snowed here today sheesh) and the dealer told me that's what it is.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

It happens when it's either extremely cold, or the temperature sensor is iced up. I've had it happen a few times here in Chicago (It snowed here today sheesh) and the dealer told me that's what it is.
Thats what I was hoping! I noticed it said ICE after it did it now that I think about it actually. But how about this snow?!?! Over here on the other side of the lake, we are getting good lake effect...have about 2 inches on the ground!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well I work downtown and am literally walking distance from Lake Michigan, and we got hammered with a slight blizzard this morning. Now, the sun is out. That is nuts!

The lowest temperature I have ever had my mirror read was -12 degrees, so it goes down there, but not sure HOW low it can go

Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 PM

I read somewhere that the bottem range is -40, and the top range is 120. Don't quote me though. As to the Gobi rack making wind noise without the deflector, I can safely say it does, but I don't know how much more that with it. I finally got my rack, but they sent the wrong one. I wanted the low profile, and the sent me a stealth. They also sent me a deflector for no roof marler lights, and I have roof marker lights. I went ahead and installed the roof rack, but the wind deflector will have to be shipped back.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM

Yup...the bottom range is usually -40...in my jeep liberty that I had before this, I was in -44 and it only went to -40 and a few other mirrors I checked cut off there too.
I always grab a picture when its below -15 and I travel north a lot to snowboard events so I'll be sure to share my lo temp shots! I will also report on how it runs in low temp.

That sucks about the rack!! I wanted to see the lo profile. But from what I heard from Gobi, the lo profile rack is no more. Now that I see it, I think the only difference is those silver bolts arent there and its just all welded.
Have you noticed any XM problems with yours when you drive west?

Old 10-13-2006, 01:46 AM

Yeah, I was a little disappointed when I realised they sent me the stealth, but after thinking about it, I plan on replacing the bolts with stainless eye bots so I have more ancors to hook my tie downs to since they dont go around the bars of the rack too well. I don't have XM, and other than driving it to go off roadingI haven't driven it much. I don't know if I have any ill affects with my BlondeStar. I don't think I will at least until I get the wind deflector put on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/235/3CA6C0EDB83448218CCF9370DB3E802F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/235/0AE8C0FF84154D308D70DD5BA5320EEC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/235/9040E9587ACE482590E75949E88C1853.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 AM

Looks awesome!! You didnt get one with the sunroof hole?

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror Flashing