PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Hood Louvers Expelling Engine Heat ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Question Real Hood Louvers Expelling Engine Heat ?

Today looking at the fake hood louver on my H3 and wondered if it's worth buying the real deal at HoodLouvers.com. I can see this concept working pulling hot air out of the engine bay but it's not cheap at $350 + shipping. I thought about cutting the hood myself and doing a DIY fabbed job but I'm not that handy nor can I wrench where I live - HOA rules. Anyone care to offer an opinion? Is it worth the hassle and expense? Thanks in advance!

Hummers - Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -

Hummer H3 Testimonials - Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -

Last edited by H3Ray; 02-22-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:26 PM
rsc

Here's the test, open the hood while the engine is hot. If the temps measurably drop then the mod is for you.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Found some Pics of Functioning Hood Louvers ....

Attached Thumbnails Real Hood Louvers Expelling Engine Heat ?-imgp2336.jpg   Real Hood Louvers Expelling Engine Heat ?-imgp2337.jpg   Real Hood Louvers Expelling Engine Heat ?-imgp2339.jpg  

Last edited by H3Ray; 02-22-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 PM

My question is there anything under the Louver area of the engine that could be damaged by Rain? I suppose hood rust might be another concern?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2015, 09:59 PM
rsc

No, the mod is not a magic pill for solving overheating issues. It does work, but not as much as I had wanted it to. If you like the looks or like to tinker and make stuff then its worth it. But if asking MY opinion, YOU will not be happy with the price/effort/results tradeoffs. Me? I would do it to my own again because its uniquely mine.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 PM
rsc

Yes, there is crap under that area of the hood to be modified like the plug coils. The rust isn't a problem because you are going to primer and paint the raw edges.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:58 PM

Thanks for advising - I appreciate it.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 PM

Yes it does let alot of heat escape, how much I am not sure, but on these vehicles anything is better than nothing. I noticed a big improvement in heat soaking after shut off.
When I park and shut off the engine, I can feel the heat rising out through the vents instead of just sitting under the hood heat soaking everything.
I cant say there is any benefit, but I can not see how less heat soak is a bad thing for the motor and electrical components.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by whylee
Yes it does let alot of heat escape, how much I am not sure, but on these vehicles anything is better than nothing. I noticed a big improvement in heat soaking after shut off. When I park and shut off the engine, I can feel the heat rising out through the vents instead of just sitting under the hood heat soaking everything. I cant say there is any benefit, but I can not see how less heat soak is a bad thing for the motor and electrical components.
Thanks whylee. So you did this Mod? Which vents did you install? The small side vents or the big middle vent where the fake plastic Louver sits? Was install difficult? DIY or body shop paid install? Pics?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by H3Ray
Thanks whylee. So you did this Mod? Which vents did you install? The small side vents or the big middle vent where the fake plastic Louver sits? Was install difficult? DIY or body shop paid install? Pics?

Thanks!
I did the center of the hood. I removed the fake plastic, cut the triangle and 2 rectangle pieces out out between the hood bracing. I then cut and bent a piece of diamond plate aluminum the same shape as the entire recessed depression on the hood and spaced it up 3/4 inch so it sits a tad higher than the rest of the hood so air flows under it.
I did it myself, only took a few hours of messing around with the shape using a cardboard template. I also put a 1/4 inch bead of silicon around each hole so water does not run in in the rain. I have not seen any water get in yet so Im not worried about that at all.
There is pics somewhere on here from a couple of months ago.

Quick Reply: Real Hood Louvers Expelling Engine Heat ?